Frequent Moves - Good, Bad, or Doesn't Matter?

Scott917

Arachnopeon
Hi, my name is Scott and I have been lurking here for a week or so, and I want to thank all of you for you advice you have given others. I really like the wide variety of opinions and all the information I can gather will help make me a better educated tarantula owner when the time is right.

Here is my question. How often should you move a sling/pre-adult, before finally getting them into a "final" home?? I mean if you started out with a sling in a condiment cup, then went to a 12oz deli cup then to a 24oz deli cup, to a small critter keeper, and so on.... Would this number of changes be healthy for the T.? Or should I put a T. in an enclosure a little bigger and do the "moving" less often? Waiting to hear your thoughts.......

Scott H

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
It depends on how big the sling is and how big the deli cup etc is. I have a few slings that I have moved after each molt while at the same time I have some that I will let molt 2 or 3 times before moving them into a bigger container. I don't think it hurts them when you move them after each molt. I would go on how big the sling compared to it's enclosure is.

Welcome to the Boards :)

Scott917

Arachnopeon
Hi, and thanks for the welcome. I think that you make a good point, and I appreciate you posting it for me. I will keep that in mind b/c the first spider that I would like to buy is a slow grower. I was leaning towards not changing so often but it might be something that has to be decided on a case by case basis.

Thanks again!
Scott :)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Do a search under "Housing Spiderlings" and check out the thread I started a few weeks ago. It may help you some