Sun spider inactive HELP!!

ghost_tomb

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi all

My sun spiders been very inactive for about a month now, do they tend to have phases of activity and then inactivity?
Since from what i hear they should always be on the move, also she's not been eatting.

Advice please?

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Sadley, the signs indicate that your solifugid is closing in on the end of its life span. They are not long-lived arachnids, usually living no longer than six months to one year, and the active season for most species is coming to an end. I suggest preserving the specimen after it dies.

Alex S.

ghost_tomb

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hmm

that would be quite suprising since she's about half the size of the ones at my local pet store. also i've just noticed that her eyes are slightly cloudy could she be getting ready to molt?

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What species are you keeping? Molting could be a possibility as well.

Alex S.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
What species are you keeping? Molting could be a possibility as well.

Alex S.

ghost_tomb

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
its a yellow egyption banded sun spider and the ones at the store are consideribly bigger than she is.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Size does not always indicate adulthood when it comes to solifugids. Some adults may be huge, while some others, considerably smaller. The "Egyptian banded sunspiders" are of the family Galeodidae, which consists of some of the longest-lived solifugids. Galeodids are mainly nocturnal, so give the specimen darkness, keep attmepting to feed, and keep checking to see how it is doing. Molting is definetely a possibility, but if it does not occur within another week or so, then, unfortunetaly, the solifugid could be coming to the end of it's life-span.

Alex S.

Last edited: