rosies

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
Granted, few subjects are as controverisal as handling. However, I'd like to ask a question. My rosie, Audra, is my first t. (For those of you that remember, she was the leaky legged one) I find a behavior of hers very odd. To start off, I'll tell you what she has done with her webbing. She has laid a blanket of webbing everywhere, on the substrate.
The substrate is not damp. Its peat moss, that I carefull went through, to remove the sticks, and whatnot. The webbing was strange for me. If I go about removing leftovers, changing the water dish, she will rush up, with (my t anatomy is bad) her front end up, and her chelicera (sp?) extended part way.
I do make certain that all my t's know I'm there. I never breathe on them either. Audra will also (I've never heard of this before) raise one half of her body up.
Will I ever get to handle her? I'm thinking probably not. :( In that case, I may get another rosie. Please don't take this post wrong. I just like to try and understand my little charges. Elsewise, I might do something wrong, and make their captivity a torturous one.

Thanks....:)

Peace,
Gillian

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my rosie (zion) webs the substrate too... esp while she has a cricket or two in her mouth. thankfully, she is a sweetheart and i've never had problems handling her but i have heard lots of people say that their rosies are fiesty. i dont think you're doing anything wrong, it's probably just the way audra is!

kellygirl

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Gillian - My rosie burrowed and acts like an asian burrower in most aspects almost all the time. I had a heck of a time getting a dead pinkie out of it's burrow. She is a demon. I'm not the only one, I know. I've heard lots of people talk about the mean rose hairs. Here's a picture of her attacking a paintbrush, for example.

You can also get a good idea of how deep the substrate is in her tank, if you picture that lid being about 9 inches off the table.

Bill

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Bill,
Mine hasn't quite gone that far. Still, if she's displaying, I'm not going to force anything.

Peace,
Gillian