Is this Mold?

ixiir

Arachnopeon
Hey all,

I'm a new T owner and I have to say that these boards have been invaluable so far.

I have a avic. versicolor who is about 1.5" - 2". I've noticed recently that in the substrate there are little white dots, kind of like the drippings off of a paintbrush. The dots are no bigger then a millimeter or two across. When I touch them, they smear like paint (its not paint). There aren't too many of them, probably half a dozen or so, and there are two on the side of the container. The T seems happy, is eating well, and I've been cleaning the left over cricket parts out of the cage pretty timely. There is also a pill bug who lives in the container (who just recently moulted actually). I heard that pill bugs eat mold. The substrate is dry, not bone dry, but not moist either. The substrate is damp around the water dish, but these white dots are more around the edges of the container. None near the water dish at all.

So what are these white dots? I'm not really qualified to make a guess, I'm very new to owning T's. Is it poop? mold? something to do with the pill big? some time of alien spore that is the precurser to invasion?

Thanks, and I've really enjoyed lurking around here.

-ixiir

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What you describe here sounds exactly like tarantula feces!

greetings
Bernhard

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi ixiir,

And welcome to the Boards. I might be totally wrong, but from your descriptions it sounds like it might be A. Versi "poop" and not mold. Mold looks more like hazy, fuzzy white stuff. You said yours smeared when you touched them, which led me to believe they're actually wet and poopy.

---
Wendy
---

ixiir

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the quick responses. I'm happy to hear its not mold.

-ixiir

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hi ixiir, welcome to the Boards, yup avicularia's are notorious when it comes to poop, mine does it all the time, for some reason they like doing it after you got done cleaning the cage, LOL.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hmmm....i have some in almost all my tanks...mine are all eating well and doing good. i am pretty sure that its dry...i better check to see if it is fuzzy like mold.

-Mattyb

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mattyb said:
hmmm....i have some in almost all my tanks...mine are all eating well and doing good. i am pretty sure that its dry...i better check to see if it is fuzzy like mold.

-Mattyb
Even if it's dry, it's probably still poop. T poop can look kind of chalky too. Also, just to bear in mind, mold will continue to grow at the source site and in the average T habitat can grow pretty quick, poop will not grow.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
metzgerzoo said:
Even if it's dry, it's probably still poop. T poop can look kind of chalky too. Also, just to bear in mind, mold will continue to grow at the source site and in the average T habitat can grow pretty quick, poop will not grow.

hmmmm....very true...and it hasn't been growing so i guess it is poop. thats a relief. :cool:

-Mattyb

Elson

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ixiir said:
Hey all,

I'm a new T owner and I have to say that these boards have been invaluable so far.

I have a avic. versicolor who is about 1.5" - 2". I've noticed recently that in the substrate there are little white dots, kind of like the drippings off of a paintbrush. The dots are no bigger then a millimeter or two across. When I touch them, they smear like paint (its not paint). There aren't too many of them, probably half a dozen or so, and there are two on the side of the container. The T seems happy, is eating well, and I've been cleaning the left over cricket parts out of the cage pretty timely. There is also a pill bug who lives in the container (who just recently moulted actually). I heard that pill bugs eat mold. The substrate is dry, not bone dry, but not moist either. The substrate is damp around the water dish, but these white dots are more around the edges of the container. None near the water dish at all.

So what are these white dots? I'm not really qualified to make a guess, I'm very new to owning T's. Is it poop? mold? something to do with the pill big? some time of alien spore that is the precurser to invasion?

Thanks, and I've really enjoyed lurking around here.

-ixiir
LOL....those dots are not mold...it's poop .
well...i'm laughing like hell!!! :D
welcome to the boards...

maxwellxxv

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am trying to type.. i am laughing to hard..but not at you.. I love the learning curve.lol........so much fun..LOL!!!

xanadu1015

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I doubt ixiir would be the first to wonder about "that white stuff in the enclosure" :D

Laura