cross breeding

ChupaChup

Arachnopeon
I know a little more about scorpioncolours now......but I wonder.......does a scorpion ever cross breed ?

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, it was sometimes successfully tried, for example by M.Vachon with Androctonus (australis and bicolor if I remember well) but every time babies died the first days. There are some papers on this subject, I don't remember the references but I can search if you're interested.
Greetings,
Eric

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you could post references, that would be very interesting.

darrelldlc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Eric Ythier...Can I successfully breed my female C. gracilis with one of the males that she gave birth to? I remember you e-mailed me a pic of P. transvaalicus female with one of her sons mating. Just curious if it was genetically possible. thanks.
Darrell.

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mm...yes I think it's always possible, there are usually not many problems of consanguinity among arthropods (and among invertebrates I think), because they have more genes than vertebrates or a thing like that... I curently have some Lychas mucronatus which are the 4th generation of "incest" ;) and there are not teratology problems or more mortality.
But perhaps someone had problems with other species ?
Greetings,
Eric

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Lourenco 1991 "interspecific hybridation of reared C. Gracilis and C. Margaritatus (Cheliserata,Scorpions)" . studies onbNeotropical Fauna and Environment . Vol.26(1):29-32.

Le Pape & Goyffon , 1975 "accouplement interspecifique suivi de parturition dans le genre Androctonus (Scorpionida ,Buthidae)" compte rendus hébdomadaires des séances de l'Académie des sciences (Paris) , sér.D, 280: 2005-2008

Greetings,
Eric

Last edited:

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i think that someone on scorpionfans, who had C.exillicauda inbreeding for a while, had a mutant with a double jointed tail, but he is un-contactable (by me) so it might be impossible to verify this

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ythier said:

Lourenco 1991 "interspecific hybridation of reared C. Gracilis and C. Margaritatus (Cheliserata,Scorpions)" . studies onbNeotropical Fauna and Environment . Vol.26(1):29-32.

Le Pape & Goyffon , 1975 "accouplement interspecifique suivi de parturition dans le genre Androctonus (Scorpionida ,Buthidae)" compte rendus hébdomadaires des séances de l'Académie des sciences (Paris) , sér.D, 280: 2005-2008

Greetings,
Eric
Thanks Eric, I'm off to library to hunt those down now :) .

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello George,

I don't recall this on the list but there is a 'research note' in the Journal of Arachnology.

1995. The Journal of Archnology 23:199-201.

Report on a rare developmental anomaly in the Scorpion, Centruroides vittatus (Buthidae).

The article includes Hottentotta, Centruroides to Euscorpius up to @1995.

Cheers.

Chad Lee

G. Carnell said:
i think that someone on scorpionfans, who had C.exillicauda inbreeding for a while, had a mutant with a double jointed tail, but he is un-contactable (by me) so it might be impossible to verify this