Questions about Blondi substrate...

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello boys and girls. I did a search on the website in regards to the appropriate substrate mix for a blondi and found that most people found a mix of peat/soil or simply all peat is the best way to go (maybe with a false bottom of gravel or vermiculite as well). I have a few quesions about this though -

1. Peat is very acidic, can this have any detrimental effects on the T?

2. It seems to me that soil and peat *may* have the ability to collapse once the T has made this his/her burrow. So has anyone found this to be true? Also lets say (God forbid) that happens, can a T crawl out of a few inches of substrate easily?

3. If I go with peat and soil or just peat, should I add a little bid of bark (the Forest Floor brand, the kind that hold humidity well and isn't abrasive) to the substrate to allow for easier burrowing?

4. How often should the substrate be changed? I read that Ts do not leave many remnants of meals behind (unless they are only "sorta" hungry, but blondi seems hungry all the time :)) so it seems that mold/flies would be the big issue here. I hope not too often for I wouldn't want to destroy the Ts burrow all the time...maybe once every 2 months?

Thanks to anyone with answers and thanks to all you helpers on this board, you guys are awesome :clap:

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
OK, let's do this one at a time, that way I don't get confused:D

First of all (forgive me if I'm wrong) you seem, by your questions, to be very new to the tarantula keeping hobby and perhaps, because of your very questions, you should consider a different tarantula other than T. blondi. But for the sake of learning, which we all benifit from, here you go:

For a blondi 50/50 peat/soil is very common as is 100% peat. The reason why is because the higher peat content helps maintain humidity. The acidic factor of peat moss has never proven to be a problem to a blondi or any T for that matter.

Soil/peat mixtures are actually very durable for burrowers....blondis do not dig their own burrows. Any T that burrows will line the inside of the burrow with webbing to further stabalize it and reduce the risk of collapse. If a burrow does collapse a T can usually get themselves out of it unless they are a small sling.

IMHO, I would steer clear of bark chips, as many types of wood bark can be toxic to Ts. Peat moss and vermiculite in particular are used because they DO maintain moisture VERY well. Again, blondis do not normally burrow and it has never been necessary to provide some complex mixture of substrate for a T to construct a strong, sturdy burrow. Ts are VERY good at making burrows that will be strong enough to support them.

Under "normal" conditions, a Ts substrateusually does not need to be changed more than once or twice a year. Of course, if mold, mites or other bacteria, pests, etc. infest the tank then yes, cleaning is required.
Regular, routine maintence IS required, especially with a blondi because of their higher tempreture and humidity requirements. It is NOT necessairly true that "Ts do not leave many remnants of meals behind"...it just depends on what is being fed and the particular tarantula. Example, my rosie will eat every bit of a cricket, roach or meal worm whereas some of my others will only eat the insides and leave the shells. It has very little to do with how hungry a T is or is not. Molds can grow in a Ts enclousure quite quickly and thus, routine maintence and checking is required.

If you are looking for an "easy, low maintence" tarantula, Theraphosa blondi IS NOT the tarantula for you at this time.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep my T.blondi on dry peatmoss and a corkbark hide and a full water dish....no mold no mites no problems....IMO blondies do not need higher temps or high humidity,that is way overrated and only causes more problems...all my spiders are kept at room temps...apprx. 72 to 76 degrees....

Regards, Mike :worship:

The Misanthrope

Arachnopeon
I agree w/ mike, high temp and humidity is overrated. My blondi has had no problems and I just keep a full water dish, and mist every so often. I don't think you need to worry about the blondi getting caught in a tunnel collapse. They are very good at making their homes sturdy. My .5" H. Lividum was buried under about 5" of substrate and just proceeded to make a new tunnel. Just remove their waste as often as you can. I take the waste out everytime I look into the cage and see it. If you see mold, you could always mist with Hydrogen Peroxide. It's completely safe to the T, and produces oxygen and water after it reacts with the mold.