New capture: Bigass tegenaria!

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Found her on my wall, pretty sure she indeed is a she, 'cous she's BIG and the palpal bulbs are, well they aint! and more; gave her an almost grown up cricket (cut of it's head first) just to see what would "happen". She jumped it! fought like mad she did! could hear a very clear "crunching" sound as she drove her fangs in :} It was of course very "live" and kickin! awesome spider this one! anyone know which it could be? I live in norway, dunno if T. Gigantea are found here so... size is about 2,5"

ps: wish we had your huge wolf spiders here.. heard they get about 4"?

Edit: hmm like most of the tegeneria spiders i've found this one lacks a leg.. any idea of moltrates for these bugs (adults)? And I do believe it is a t.gigantea :) it looks just like the one here:
http://www.loven.plus.com/nicksspiders/tegenariagigantia.htm

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very cool Schlinkey! She's a good feeder too, that's a plus too. I wish I could help you with an id but I sure can't. Alex will likely be along shortly and clear all this up for you. ;)
BTW, thanks for the link. Do yo know the webmaster Nick? He's got a cool site.

Atrax

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nope dont know him, just made a search for tegenaria on altavista ;) pretty sure it's a t.gigantea though, since the t.domestica is a bit smaller. and it certainly isnt a hobo-spider. have you kept such spiders? as i said; im a bit curious on the moltrates on adult specimens, plus, i've never seen a true spider molt :)

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know those spiders...... I used to catch them all the time.. this is before I didn't have any tarantulas.. They are a good fighting spiders.. I used to put them together and let them have a death match... :)

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Theraposa
I know those spiders...... I used to catch them all the time.. this is before I didn't have any tarantulas.. They are a good fighting spiders.. I used to put them together and let them have a death match... :)
yeah, she put a neat end to that thrashing cricket alright :D

on a side note; i might have witnessed a breeding with this sp. put two together (i've caught several) in an attempt to feed one of em (now that i think of it, i wanted to feed the male) and they clashed together doing the act (much like T's) then the female started chasing him, then ended up eating him.. :?

not sure if it really was a breeding though, a couple of weeks after my littlebrother let her loose in the garden :mad:

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Tegeneria gigantea

You do most likely have T. gigantea as there are really no other Tegeneria that will get over 2.5".

Alex S.

P.S. Thanks for the plug, Gary :)

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the link i gave gives some good pics of the spider i caught :) more dull brownish i think.. (t.gigantea)