Centipede venom

Azoun

Arachnopeon
Does anyone have the breakdown on exactly what Scolopendra venom does?
I've been researching for my own knowledge, but none of the books I own go into much detail at all regarding the venom. Most just say that centipedes ARE venomous.

Not a single sentence is written about what that venom IS.

My questions are:

1. What does the venom do to prey?
(By this I ask: is the fluid a paralytic, meant to subdue prey? Or is it acidic, meant to help break down the prey? Or something else? I have no clue and would very much like to know exactly what I am dealing with since I am keeping one in my home.)

2. Does anyone know what the venom is classified as, scientifically?
(By this I ask: helotoxin? neurotoxin? Chemically, what is it?)

The reason I'm putting this thread out is because a local nurse asked me about it, and I had no answer for her. As mentioned before, sometimes folks around here do get tagged while doing yardwork. They know there is a venom involved, but why the patients report such pain is of some intrest to a few of us who may come under the scrutiny of medical personnel.

We would really appreciate it if anyone knows exacly what kind of cocktail Scolopendra alternans is packing, and how it works.

Not only that, but if anyone knows how to help NEUTRALIZE it, that would be of prime benefit.

Obviously ice, to reduce swelling would help, but if anyone has heard of anything else, please let me know.

The aim here is to educate people who now know that I am keeping a venomous animal. The more responsible I am, the more knowledge I can disseminate, the better I can dispel some of the local paranoia.

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:

ghost_tomb

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i've been wondering the same since i'm getting my first centipede very soon:)

I think i can remember reading a report that said the venom causes tissue damage thus why it hurts so much. but don't quote me on that.

oblivion56

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i know also that the venom is slightly similar to that of the male platypus,in that it causes the receptecles that sense pain fire off all at once.it is said that not even a nerve block or morphine does much good to combat this pain.knowing this is why i treat my pedes with the same respect i do my hot herps! :cool:

TroyMcClureOG82

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A nerve block is actually the only thing that DOES relieve the pain. It doesn't do anything for any type of tissue damage or swelling but it blocks all of the pain.

TroyMcClureOG82

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea, I saw this special once about this guy that got tagged really bad by a male platypus. They tried everything to relieve the pain but nothing would work. A nerve block is a last resort and not something doctors like to do. They finally had to do the nerve block but that was days later.

Azoun

Arachnopeon
I'd like to stay with the original content of my question please, rather than open an influx of herp related venoms. :embarrassed:

Icey:
That link to the military publication was very informative indeed. Thanks for that. I'll post below some highlights from it.

From "Military Dermatology" regarding arthropod bites, specifically centipedes:

" The immdiate reaction consists of local burning pain and a pair of hemorrhagic puncta surrounded by erythema and edema at the sting site. Occasionally, local necrosis, regional lymphangitis and lymphadenopathy, anxiety, irregular peripheral pulses, headache and dizziness may develop. Therapy for a centipede bite should include cleansing the wound, tenanus prophylaxis, and administering systemic antihistamines."

"...venoms contain a variety of biologically active compounds including proteases, hyaluronidase, phospholipase A, kinins, histamine, 5-hydroxytryptamine, acetylcholine, adrenaline-like substances, neurotoxins, and hemolytic toxins."

This information answers my original two questions.
Any prey that gets a shot of this stuff is pretty well hosed.
No wonder it is so painful to humans.

Last edited:

Icey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Glad to be of service...try not to get bitten huh :cool: