Trapdoor ID help please

Arachnoking

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
does anyone know the latin name, husbandry requirements and venom strength of this spider? any help or info is much appreciated..

this specimen was collected in China

danfekar

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow!

I'm sorry I can't help you with any id, but I just had to say that it is one good looking spider you have there! Hope you find out what it is.

Regards
Dan

Arachnoking

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
this spider isnt mine yet bt i may be getting some. just curious about them and want info before i buy.

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Now that's something I have never seen before!
Could you please post us another close-up picture of the structure on it's opisthosoma?

greets
Bernhard

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
i'm nauseated and fascinated at the same time by that ass, er...what he said *points up* lol. looks like it had a bad accident or plastic surgery gone wrong (Michael Jackson of the spider world???)

edit: google's not being friendly to me today lol...as far as i can tell it's a Cyclocosmia species similar to this one found in Florida:

http://www.flaentsoc.org/arthropdiversity/florida_trapdoor_spider.htm

there's only one species found in China, I just couldn't find a species name for it :( there was mention of a Dr. Robert Wolff who named a new species in 1988, a "Cyclocosmia bradya" but didn't mention where it was found. Seems like a trip to the local library may be necessary or a visit with an entomologist at a local university.

Last edited:

Navaros

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow.... I want some.... but wow they are gross looking. They are like a car accident. :razz:

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Amazing spider, but it gives me the creeps, the willies, AND the heebie jeebies. Freaky.

DeathRowDisco

Arachnopeon
I've got nothing. NOTHING. Haha.
Okay, so far I found that there are only four Cyclocosmia sp. in the world- two in North America, one in Mexico, and one in China.
But I think that was wrong, because so far I've turned up...
Cyclocosmia torreya and Cyclocosmia truncata- both from North America.
Cyclocosmia ausserer, bradya, and theveneti. Now, those three, I'm completely unsure of.
But I shall continue on! Mwahaha. :?
UPDATE: So, I'm almost SURE the Cyclocosmia ausserer is from North America, as well. I also found another species- C. ricketti, from North Thailand.
Which leaves me rigth now with C. bradya and C. theveneti. I've NEVER not been able to ID a spider that I knew at least a little about (genus and where it's from) so if I seem determined, it's because I am. I know that there's a species from China, and one from Mexico. And there are very few in the world, so there may well only be six species. So the question I'm stuck with is, which is which?! Haha. At least I've narrowed it down.

Last edited:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
You can ask Eddy H. (metallica on these boards)
if i'm not mistaken,.. he has the same specie for quite some time now ;)

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

there is an article about collecting and keeping Cyclocosmia ricketti (POCOCK, 1901) from North-Thailand:
  • HUBER, S. (1995): Cyclocosmia ricketti (POCOCK, 1901) aus Nord-Thailand im Terrarium (Araneida: Ctenizidaez). Arachnol. Mag. 3(6): 1-6.
all the best,
Martin

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not sure if this helps any or if its been mentioned before but that wierd structure on its abdomen is used for a defensive purpuse, it will dig an offshoot to its main trap door tunnel incase of attack it will scurry down into this offshoot and use its but to blug the entrance for defense. I read this is one of my out dated books on spiders I wil ldig it out and give you a quate but this is just a theory and the spider resembles the diagram of the one they show doing it.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
i was thinking that's what it was for since the other ones in that genus have similar shaped abdomens...i just couldn't figure out what the "holes" were for. They kind of look like a mushroom...a morel perhaps? maybe it's a "toadstool spider" :D

Malhavoc's

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Maybe its all a stunt and its trying to get royalties for soem of the designs of the alien 'walls' lol but no, the diagram I have didnt show a real unique body style jsut a trap door spider shapped body with what looked liek the abdomen cut in half, if didn't go into detial as to reasons of its shape colouring or in this case bizar looking wholes it jsut showed it pushing its abdomen in line with a who it dug out of its main tunnel while a centipede tried to root it out of its burrow by crawling in.