Help!!! metallica!

Icey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There I was thinking either the band Metallica had invaded your house and you really wanted them out or one of your metallica's got loose.

Sorry can't be of help, but if it was the former you could have tried pepper spray {D

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Why are pokies harder to breed than other spiders, or what keeps thier prices consistantly high?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well, you can get them for free if you first travel to the mountain range in India where they live and bribe the customs agents when you leave the country.

You could also travel to Europe and hope to get one for roughly half of their U.S. price.

Or you can pay the market value in the U.S. which takes into account their scarcity and import costs. You will find that it is much, much cheaper than either of the two alternatives.

If not, you do what everyone else is doing that wants one but isn't willing to pay their current price: you wait until the day comes that the supply gets high enough to support something more to your liking.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Washout said:
I've read that thread. I thought that pokies had a more specific reason in general that kept the price high. Something like a small amount of spiderlings, or them being harder to breed than other tarantulas.

Both. Males and females seem to need extended periods (weeks, months) of cohabitation in order to sucessfully breed, and even then they don't always do it. Combine that with the relatively low number of spiderlings produced, and the add in the high demand and you end up with an entire genus that tends to be pricier. Even P. regalis is expensive when you consider how long it has been bred. They're still in demand! Compare that with what's happend with the prices of some of the big terrestrials like A. geniculata that were the hot ticket not so many years ago.

Wade

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Call me what you will, but I really think that the word help followed by multiple exclamation points should be reserved for real emergencies, or at least urgent matters regarding your T's or other pets. To use that when trying to find a lower than market price on a valuable spider is a bit like crying wolf. (Or to be more topical, crying Lycosidae)

Perhaps no one cares, but just my opinion on the matter.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Well the cheapest I've seen them for is about $295 -10% AB member discount.
Remember, there are less than 300 total babies imported into the US...(41,3,110,30, and i forget the other#..) Probably closer to 240...I am losing track and interest... Remember initially the list price was $450 on them....
T