what is to much substrate???

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
my spiderlings are going to be moved after this molt into a larger cage not to much larger but a little bit anyway i planned on putting about 2 to 3 inches of substrate so they would not fall and hurt themslelves is it to much dirt or does it not matter???

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
shorter the fall, if any, the less likely you are to have T injuries...

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
pinktoes804 said:
my spiderlings are going to be moved after this molt into a larger cage not to much larger but a little bit anyway i planned on putting about 2 to 3 inches of substrate so they would not fall and hurt themslelves is it to much dirt or does it not matter???
I don't think you can have too much substrate for terrestrial Ts unless there is no room for the T between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure. ;)

Arboreal slings don't need much substrate at all. I keep my A. versicolor slings in a vial with about an inch of peat moss/vermiculite mix.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What species are we talking about? You sure don't have anything to worry about if your slings are arboreols. You probably wouldn't need that much substrate. If they are burrowers then yes deeper substrate would be better. If you are talking about yir GBB, treat it as arboreal while a sling because it won't burrow but make alot of webbing instead

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Professor T said:
I don't think you can have too much substrate for terrestrial Ts unless there is no room for the T between the top of the substrate and the top of the enclosure. ;)
You seem to have beat me to the answer I was going to give :)

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
the species is a baby GBB, nhandu Chromatus, N coloratovillous, and a E campestratus all slings under an 1 inch or right about an inch.....

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
In theme with the paranoia of the evening...

I like to leave some breathing room, more than what is required between the substrate and the lid...
I find slings to be fairly unpredictable and I like to have the extra space when feeding etc.

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
too much substrate is when the excavation from the burrow fills the container before the burrow is complete (my H. gigas really pushes the limit).
Rev