Southern Alligator Lizard

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This is the largest Southern Alligator Lizard I have ever found. Unfortunately I did not have a measuring tape with me. I would have liked to record his size. Notice his gaping defensive posture. He kept lunging at the camera whenever I removed my fingers so i couldn't get a focused photo. I placed my fingers on his back to hold him still for the shot. Neat lizard!

Attachments

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cool pic! every alligator lizard I have caught has had attitude in spades! I am surprised it did not bite you when you held it down for the picture. looks like your finger would easily slide down its throat too! FWIW, every alligator lizard I have kept readily ate pinks, crickets, etc., very hardy captives.

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks Immortal!

atavuss,

They are certainly fiesty lizards. The worst of it is the smearing and squirting of feces. I kept a pair several years back and they did eat ANYTHING! They were given to me as half dead rescues. They had been severely mauled by someone's cat. They healed over nicely and were soon eating whatever happened to be in their general vicinity. The monster female started laying eggs like crazy so I gave them to a lizard keeping friend of mine. They are very interesting lizards. I'm surprised they aren't more popular in the lizard keeping community. I suppose the fecal smearing is bad publicity.