phrixotrichus spatulata????

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was reading the tarantula keepers guide and saw this listed under what looks like a Grammostola rosea. Was there a name change or does G. rosea have a twin or something???

chique

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dunno when or why, some one else might know the history to this but the Phrixotrichus Spatulata is the old name for the Gramatsola (probably spelt wrong, sorry) species as far as i know. How old's the book you got?

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(C) 1998 i guess it is pretty old, was there an updated version of this book? or a website or something?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yep, it's a former name for Grammostola rosea. The name change occurred after that edition of the TKG went to press.

This is one of the (weak) reasons people give for favoring common names over scientific names - the common names never change goes the claim. They never agree in the first place from region to region, but they also don't usually change... of course, sometimes they do as in the case of the Mexican redleg (used to refer to B. smithi & did so for several decades but then was changed to B. emilia).

chique

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've got a copy of the tarantulas keeper guide, published '01 i think. Can't remember for the life of me who written by, it's got a pic of an avic.metallica on the front (if that helps :? ). Otherwise I get the majority of info from web sites just by doing a search and kinda blending the care sheets etc all together to get a big picture of what I want to know. I find that a lot of sites kinda contradict each others advice and info so it's just a question of proper resurch and sticking with the practices/names etc of the majority.

God I do babble sometimes.

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The current TKG is second edition and does not have that name, though it discusses name changes and uses the G. rosea formerly spatulata as an example. According to Stan they are going to begin work on a third edition next year.

The spatulata name is still in use for another species and a pic can be found here....

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=30340

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats odd wes, that pic looks like the one in my copy of the TKG....LAMO
so theres a second edition out? man i'm gonna hurt the book dealer i asked for a RECENT copy...

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just checked the date on my copy and it says 1998 also. So I went to the source and that is the second edition and I am going to re-read the parts on the G. rosea to make sure I was not misremebering.

Here is the TKG Support Page where the authors post a lot of ongoing revisions to the book including a more comprehensive index and bibliography and an addendum and erratum that adds to and corrects various things in the book.