Little White Mites!!

tnguyen

Arachnopeon
How do I get rid of these things? I bring my spider into work for the week so I can't change the substrate. Any alternate solutions? Thanks!

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Try making a mite trap. Get a small container and poke holes in it that only mites could fit in, then coat the inside in petrolium jelly and put a dead bug in it. When the mites crawl in they should get stuck in the jelly and die.

Vanan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wouldn't drying out the substrate help some?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Vanan said:
Wouldn't drying out the substrate help some?
It would help a lot. If you're having a constant mite problem then you need to break the chain of reproduction by killing off all of the current crop. Even if you insist that you should be keeping things moist, your T is going to survive a few weeks dry but the mites won't. Once they're gone, then do what you can to prevent a re-infestation (the easiest thing being to keep things dry).

Vanan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Code Monkey said:
It would help a lot. If you're having a constant mite problem then you need to break the chain of reproduction by killing off all of the current crop. Even if you insist that you should be keeping things moist, your T is going to survive a few weeks dry but the mites won't. Once they're gone, then do what you can to prevent a re-infestation (the easiest thing being to keep things dry).

Wooo! I got something right! ;) :p :D

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Code Monkey said:
And change the substrate, their eggs can last very long, even under dry conditions!
Some mites have deutonymphs (special juvenile stages) that are specialized for surviving under bad condition for up to two years!

greetings
Bernhard

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
so with that said ......how would you say get rid of them ?

Spaceman_Spiff said:
And change the substrate, their eggs can last very long, even under dry conditions!
Some mites have deutonymphs (special juvenile stages) that are specialized for surviving under bad condition for up to two years!

greetings
Bernhard

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
fyic said:
so with that said ......how would you say get rid of them ?
Sorry, just realized myself that I did not make a lot of sense with my previous post!
Let it either dry out and keep it that way or get rid of the infested soil would be my tip!

Bernhard

tnguyen

Arachnopeon
thanks for the responses! I rememeber somebody said theres a type of bug that eats these mites. Does anybody know bout this?

maxwellxxv

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
change the substrate. and keep it dry....as long as there is a water dish I find that all mt Ts do fine in a dry substrate