Prehistoric Pedes

Azoun

Arachnopeon
On another thread, someone mentioned an ancient species that "roamed Europe" and grew to "two-meters" long.

I am curious if anyone else has heard of this, and if so, any paleo-geeks out there...any clue on what it was called? I'd love to see some actual proof that they lived.

Being a bit of a paleo-geek myself, I tend to study more avian creatures; Argentavis magnificens in particular draws a lot of my attention. But nowhere have I seen in any of my refrence material any information regarding "jurassic pede."

:?

Kayv

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A very long time ago the Academy of Science in San Francisco had something about ancient insects and there was something about ancient pedes that were pretty damn big. Ima try to look for this stuff on the net

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've read references to them as well. I can't remember the name, but the prehistoric giant centipedes are belived to have been aquatic or semi-aquatic.

Wade

MUNG!!!

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry for using this thread....

I'm new to the boards, and have no idea on how to start my own thread.... but was wondering if anyone had any information on where i could obtain a Pamphobeteus Ultramarinus sling... from what I've heard they are a precious commodity, and usually come into the country in 10's. Also, if anyone knows the price range for a sling it would be appreciated. :)

P.S.- Check out my sweet commissioner gordon avatar... haha

Last edited:

Azoun

Arachnopeon
Located possible candidate; however I am no scientist and have no clue if this extinct arthropod has any relationship whatsoever to our current Scolopendrae, but here goes:

Eurypterids -
A prehistoric arthropod reaching lengths of 8 feet. Lived during the Silurian and Devonian periods.
Artist's rendition based on fossil imprints.

That's the closest thing I could find on the net. If anyone finds something that more closely resembles a "centipede," please feel free to post it here.

Attachments

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Eurypterids are actually the ancestors of scorpions. I'll see if I can find where I read about the centipedes.

Wade

rza672003

Arachnopeon
Supposedly there was a 6 ft centipede in the jurassic era that devoured mammals :worship: Nothing can mess with it

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I saw that exhibit in San Francisco. It was several years ago but I remember the 3-foot scorpion quite well because I thought it was a static model. Then out of the corner of my eye, I saw it snap into a threat pose. I have a vague memory of the four or five foot long black myriopod but I'm not sure if it was a millipede, centipede or none-of-the-above.

Karen N.