Net-casting and magnificent spiders??

CustomNature

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi folks, I'm not too big into spiders really... but last night I was watching a show on animal planet, and they did a peace on both net-casting spiders and magnificent spiders. Those things are awesome!! The latin names are Deinopis SP, that's the net-casting; and the maginificent spider is Ordgarius magnificus. These are both true spiders as well. Now my question is: IS either of these species available in the hobby, or HAVE they ever been available??? Any info on these guys would be appriciated! Thanks folks!

ghost_tomb

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i'm pretty sure i know the spiders that your talking about and i've never heard of them being on the market since they are very rare/special. since very few hunt like that.

though i'm not into true spiders so i can't reall help you.:(

JJJoshua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not sure about magnificent spider, but I know the orge faced spider (net caster) is a spider rarely ever come across, I've talked to people who've said they've waited years before they even saw one up for sale, good luck looking and if you do find some for sale, please tell me! I will be in line for one of these as well.

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
To my knowledge Ordgarius magnificus aka bolas spider feeds solely on male moths! It attracts it's prey with a pheromone of female moths.

I don't know if this pheromone is species-specific or if every moth is good as feeder but for sure you can't feed it crickets!

But they are interresting spiders, for sure!

greets
Bernhard

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Dinopis spinosa occurs in the southeast US. I don't know how common they are, but their absence from price list probably reflects lack of intrest rather than rarity.

Wade

Bungholio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I´ll found this thread and so I think I don´t open a new one for my small question.

I would like to care that species but I have no clue where to get them.
Maybe somebody knows where can I buy a spider of this species in Europe or specially in Germany/UK??

BLS Blondi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
As stupid as this may sound...if you look hard enough, or talk to a few dealers, you may be able to find them. People like Todd Gearheart or Chuck Black may have some idea of their availability...but you have to ask around. It could very well be that they are not hard to get, but there is not much demand.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Shoulda grabbed em while I was in Peru....Only saw two though, then again we were T hunting and they seemed to be up in the plants.The net though seemed to be a very cool blue color. They have two large (for thier body) primary eyes.
Tony

Last edited: