C. Darlingi burrow

Bruce

Arachnopeon
Hi guys,

I've had a juvi C darlingi (about 2 inch leg span?) for quite a few months. It eats great and has moulted once under my care. The other day, I noticed that the opening of its burrow is covered/filled with substrate. I can still see the T in its burrow but its opening is sealed. The opening was NOT webbbed up (like it does when it moults), just filled with substrate. Now I'm suspecting whether its burrow has just collapsed and that the filling of the opening is not deliberate. It has been doing a lot of digging recently! Any thoughts? :?

Thanks,
Bruce

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's either preparing to molt or the substrate may have slightly collapsed. Most likely in premolt would be my guess .
It shouldn't have much trouble tunneling it's way out even if the substrate has collapsed just at the burrow entrance.
Sometimes they mix the substrate with silk and it may be difficult to see.
Anyhow, it's probably got a plan but keep an eye just in case. Worst case, you'll simply have to do some gentle excavating but I wouldn't expect it to come to that.

Good luck.

Atrax

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sometimes they just seal themselves off for no reason, and block off thier entrance themselves. Did you check the blocked off substrate and check it for webbing? Unless you're sure the T cant get out itself, I'd leave it be.

vulpina

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would say it is preparing to molt, all of my burrowers do this before a molt. If it as just a collapse it will be redug out in a day or so.

Andy

Bruce

Arachnopeon
Cool!

I'll wait and see what happens then! Thanks for the replies!