age of tarantula species....

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
age Of The Tarantula

well i am asking this question cause i am trying to gain a more general knowledge of the Tarantula itself...

does anyone have information, hypothesis etc on how long the Tarantula has roamed the earth?? if someone has some links to that i can read more about them that would be great thanks a lot.....

Last edited:

Lochala

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is a really interesting question. I will see if I can find anything that is pertinent to the subject.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
From what I understand Ts have roamed the planet very close to 350million years. I think I read this in The Tarantula Keepers Guide.

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
oooh my god thats incredible im going to have to read that book i wonder how big they were back then....its not like they leave fossils or anything but something to look for and think about...thanks

jeffh_x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
im really sure they existed and lived to see the dinosaurs come and go...

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Cool beans wade. I'll have to look some more info up on that.

Anyone have links on exctinct species?

Spaceman_Spiff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Also found this:
>>The oldest mygalomorph, Rosamygale, was described from the Triassic of France (Selden & Gall 1992). This occurrence of a mygalomorph in the Triassic period predicted the presence of their sister group, Araneomorphae, in strata of similar age, and were subsequently found in Triassic rocks of South Africa and Virginia (Selden et al. 1999). These finds extended the fossil record of the Mygalomorphae by c. 140 Ma<<

link:
http://www.earth.man.ac.uk/research/projects/1/site/project.html

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
hey spaceman thanks for those links really interesting stuff on those pages {D {D ...

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Those big ass spiders were from the Carboniferous period when the Earth's atmosphere had a greater oxygen content. To find older and larger Chelicerata you have to visit the giant water scorpions (over 9 feet long) from the Ordovician Period (500 million years before present). :eek: