Im thinking about feeding my 4.5-5" A.Genic a 2" mousey. Good/bad idea?

scaramanga

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, I may be a little sadistic but im curious. We have loads of mice runnning around our student house and ive caught me a little brown 2" mouse. My A.Genic (Audrey) has been due to molt for a while now (its been 3 months+) and after about a week or two of her molting im going to start feeding her again. If shes eating ok and looks healthy im thinking of feeding her this mouse.... Thoughts?

I know about the risk of injury and id feel really bad if she died from the mouse biting her. Im keeping the mouse and feeding it oatmeal and water so whatever crap its been eating will hopefully be flushed out and it wil be ok to eat.

Also, people who do feed their Ts mice- have you had any bad experiences?

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have no idea about whether it'll take it or not. But DONT do it! Wild caught rodents are full of parasites, you should know this. Big no no. Go buy one :)

scaramanga

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LyzardGirl said:
I have no idea about whether it'll take it or not. But DONT do it! Wild caught rodents are full of parasites, you should know this. Big no no. Go buy one :)
can't... its illegal to feed live meeses. Or so i hear. Also, im pretty sure they don't sell them that small, even if i did want to break the law.

True about the parasites though... It is a house mouse... So not so wild
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
House mice are are wild mice too. I personally wouldn't do it, but I think your T would probably take it. I don't feed my T's anything wild. I have however fed some of the larger ones full grown, store bought mice before without any problems.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
if they r new born pinkies, probably ok
if they r full-grown one, kill it and clean up the guts and other organs, just my two cents...

scaramanga

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
randolph20 said:
if they r new born pinkies, probably ok
if they r full-grown one, kill it and clean up the guts and other organs, just my two cents...
Why would i want to kill it?! How about letting it loose outside.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well, cuz u never know what the mice ate for the last meal or what else in the guts or other organs can invade ur T's body.........
mites on the fur are easier to clear, but not those parasites inside of the body...so just take the stuff out...

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
BTW. it's easier to feed a CB mouse than those ones running around in ur place.... IMO

WayneT

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just my two cents here...I feed mice to my two adult T. blondi's all the time, and my gravid A. seemanni takes hoppers with her ravenous appetite...others in my collection receive pinkies for a treat.
However, there would be now way I would feed a wild, (house or otherwise) mouse to any of my tarantulas. You have no idea what the animal may have been into before...I would just never risk one of my valuable creatures to that. I won't even feed them insects from the yard. Just my thoughts. :D

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Bad idea.

You are considering doing something that could endanger your tarantula in many diffrent ways. You are considering it without having any good reasons for doing so before hand. That makes me think you just want to do it to get the pleasure of watching it happen. Your A.Genic will do fine on crickets and other harmless inverts. If you truly care about your tarantula as you have mentioned, you won't feed this wild caught mouse that you found in your place.

If your looking for a cheap thrill and don't really care about your tarantula's well being than you might as well throw it in there right now. I know it sounds like I'm being harsh, but thats how I feel about it.

scaramanga

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ill be honest, it was for a cheap thrill but then again its just food for my T at the end of the day.

Ill let the little critter go due to the nasty mites and parasites that it may facilitate.