on feeding pinkies; how much?

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
Well, yes, I went and bought some pinkies to feed. The only ones of my collection that ate them were my juvie PZB, and my blondi juvie. Ok, now, for the most part, t's are supposed to leave a "bolus", right? In my blondi & my PZB's enclosures, there was nothing..Nada
I was in shock. I waited til the next morning, to look again. There is nothing. I even searched with a flashlight. Is this possible?
Another thing, how often should I feed pinkies? Obviously, I want all my t's to have healthy, well rounded diets. However, I seem to remember either Joy or someone said awhile back that pinkies are really fattening. Is this a good thing, for growing t's? If so, what is too much?
Kaja, my blondi, is so stuffed, he can barely move. He slowly walks around, rather than making little darting bursts. I know they will stop before bursting, but, you should see him. And the PZB, she obviously had a BIG meal.

Peace,
Gillian

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If your tarantulas look fat then that is enough pinkie for them probably until a molt and then when they recover from the molt and are ready to eat again then feed them another one. There is not always necessarily a bolus. Some spiders leave them behind but the only ones in my collection that do are my avics.

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Gillian.....

:rolleyes: You should see my beloved Chinese EarthTiger...what a voracious eater she is...she will consume at least a pinkie a week and leaves practically nothing behind...she is very plump and in optimum condition...she is a beautiful spider.I also supplement her diet with crickets as well...but she really loves the pinks...

The Evil Spider Hunter

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Thanks everyone,
As for my blondi, I do believe he would eat a pinkie a day, if I allowed it. *g*

Peace,
Gillian

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
I was in shock. I waited til the next morning, to look again. There is nothing. I even searched with a flashlight. Is this possible?
Another thing, how often should I feed pinkies? Obviously, I want all my t's to have healthy, well rounded diets. However, I seem to remember either Joy or someone said awhile back that pinkies are really fattening. Is this a good thing, for growing t's? If so, what is too much?Peace,
Gillian
Yes, it's possible there will be nothing left if the T's hungry enough. Most people seem to agree about once a month is a reasonable frequency for feeding pinkies, but as for how much is too much, I wouldn't have a clue =D

Joy

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Re: Re: on feeding pinkies; how much?

Originally posted by Joy
Yes, it's possible there will be nothing left if the T's hungry enough. Most people seem to agree about once a month is a reasonable frequency for feeding pinkies, but as for how much is too much, I wouldn't have a clue =D

Joy
Joy,
Thanks. The last thing I wanted to happen was for me to have mammal remains in there. Although my blondi and, my PZB juvie were plump, I wouldn't say they were overly so. In other words, they weren't anywhere near as well-rounded as yours..;)

Peace,
Gillian

atavuss

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use rat pups, can't be bothered with puny mice pinks! :D
I get anywhere from 20 to 50 rat pups a week from my breeders that get fed out to whoever will eat them among my herps/inverts.
usually there is nothing left of the rodents, but some of the smaller t's will leave a bolus. my flat rock scorpion will eat half of a rat pup only, and it is a very large adult female
Ed

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Ed,
Hmmm. I may resort to that. However, the only 2 of my kids that eat pinks or pups are both juvies. Right now, rat pups would be too large. Besides, rat pups, if I remember correctly, are higher in protein. Being that they are both pigs, they would probably eat to bursting.

Peace,
Gillian