Black Light at night with Tarantula

Ardis Bartle

Arachnopeon
I have a rose-hair tarantula (or my son does) and will a black light at night cause the tarantula problems?

Thanks Ardis Bartle, Houston TX

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why a black light?

The effects of most things on tarantulas is "unknown" in a scientific sense because the research hasn't been done. All we can do is extrapolate based on what little we do know about them and their biology. Are you referring to UV lighting used to highlight your son's posters, or are you referring to the "black" lights sold in pet shops to provide supplemental heating? Either way, if the animal has a hide into which it can completely retreat, all should be fine, provided the supplemental heat doesn't cook the G. Rosea. (You might want to look at something thermostatically controlled.)

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think it will. I hear they cause health problems with many arachnids. But thats only if you have the light on all the time! I doubt 15 minutes a day would hurt though

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think using a black light to view your T at night is ideal. It allows the T to not be disturbed by a bright light and allows you to see the T. I don't think that any light on your T 24/7 would be a good thing, but if you're only using it for viewing (especially at night) it shouldn't hurt.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
RaZeDaHeLL666 said:
I think it will. I hear they cause health problems with many arachnids. But thats only if you have the light on all the time! I doubt 15 minutes a day would hurt though

What kind of health problems, specifically?

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've heard that it can cloud the eyes of scorpions and render them blind if it is on 24x7. But I'm not sure it would hurt a tarantula since they shed yearly as adults (most of the time anyway).

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
UV radiation in large amounts is probably not good. If you are simply wishing to view your animal I would suggest a red bulb, bright enough to see your animal and most likely outside of the animals visible spectrum.
Rev

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
i too second the red light...tarantulas don't glow in black lights like scorpions do, and black lights aren't the easiest on human eyes either. T's can't see red light (nor can scorps) so they think they're in the dark.

Watching a T hunt while it thinks it's in complete darkness is great...at least with my A. seemani it is. Slowly stalks down the crickets rather than hide in it's retreat and wait for one to walk by...

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree with the red lights. I keep one on my Ts at night for added heat. Our house gets very cold at night so the added heat is good and we can still see them without them being botherd by the light.

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
im not sure black light affects T's...i use a repti glow bulb that puts out like a dark purplish glow just like a blacklight but then again im not sure if its the same thing. my T's have been doing fine since i started collecting..i have seen no obvious affect yet...keep in mind that they are not right over my T's they are all mounted inside my cabinet for heat purposes only and are about 6 inches away from all the tanks and are 15 watts a peice....and like i said im not sure if these are considered black lights they give out what looks like the same type of light but on the box it says creates a natural moonlight...my T's are still very active at night and feel they are in the dark well they act like it anyway very active eating digging climbing etc etc

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
An easy way to tell if the light is giving off any UV is to get a yellow fluorescent hi-lighter and draw a line on a piece of paper now get a yellow marker (plain) and draw a line right next to the hi-lighter line..
put this paper under a reg house light and notice the colors.. then put this paper under your light in question, if you notice the hi-lighter yellow is brighter than the other or is actually 'glowing' then there is UV coming from the bulb..

try this at the end of dusk on a clear day..

but I'd limit the exposure to UV..

most T's evolved to be mostly nocturnal..

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
Nerri1029 said:
An easy way to tell if the light is giving off any UV is to get a yellow fluorescent hi-lighter and draw a line on a piece of paper now get a yellow marker (plain) and draw a line right next to the hi-lighter line..
put this paper under a reg house light and notice the colors.. then put this paper under your light in question, if you notice the hi-lighter yellow is brighter than the other or is actually 'glowing' then there is UV coming from the bulb..

try this at the end of dusk on a clear day..

but I'd limit the exposure to UV..

most T's evolved to be mostly nocturnal..
hey thanks for the tip im going to try that tonight.. :worship: