Crossbreeding Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaRoacher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay, cross-breeding is heavily frowned upon on these boards, I know that much... But, I have an idea, why can't you just cross breed two species, and then take 1 or 2 spiderlings after the eggs hatch and let the rest killeachother or do the job yourself?

I think this would be a good way to get one or two hybrid specimens, enough to study off of, at least...

8SEXYLEGS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is cross-breeding possible to begin with? Let's say I bred my G. rosea with my H. lividum (their both female, but lets perten the rosies male) Would the H. lividum even be able to become pregnant? And what would we get? A docile blue T, or an agressive reddish brown T? Or would we get a nice mixture? Any we could save all the slings so we could condcut multiple tests. But I still don't know if such a thing would even be possible...

versus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
IMO, i'll think that crossbreeding activities will result to some unidentified hybrids if the eggsac that was produced successfully... it doesn't benefit hobbyist and you will not able to provide a proper care for them, in terms of behaviour, requirement and etc.. unless you are planning to keep them by yourself, for some study purposes.....
if the hybridizing thingy is for the sake of producing a new and unidentified sp., it is certainly a no-no for this tarantula hobby.... :embarrassed:
as there are already many types and different species which is available... so, if keeping one species alone is boring, you can try to look for other new or different species which is already available in the hobby....
just my two cents.. ;)

PapaRoacher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would never raise the whole eggsac's worth of Ts for risk they would escape and possibley breed, etc...

But, I would think crossbreeding is possible, I would also think that extra care would have to go into doing it, though... I think the H. Lividum would maybe kill the G. Rosea...

Well, I never claimed the hobby to be boring, I'm just asking questions... And, i think it would be interesting to see two spiders in one... Like, it's not exactly wrong to crossbreed dogs or cats... So, I don't see a problem with what I'm proposing...

Last edited:

Rourke

ArachnoProletariat
Old Timer
......sigh.......!!

This topic DOES get old, but far be it from me to judge that it shoudn't be discussed. Someday, if we keep at it, maybe someone will even come with a good reason for discussing it, beyond "Wouldn't it be neat.....?"

PapaRoacher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Rourke said:
......sigh.......!!

This topic DOES get old, but far be it from me to judge that it shoudn't be discussed. Someday, if we keep at it, maybe someone will even come with a good reason for discussing it, beyond "Wouldn't it be neat.....?"

Well, technically, there is no good reason for even owning a Tarantula, it's all for visual satisfaction, and scientific curiousity, not unlike what I am proposing with crossbreeding...

I'm pretty sure 90% of the T owners on this board got hooked on Ts because they were "neat"...

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
or we could just focus on breeding RARER captive bred tarantulas instead of creating useless hybrids, so that way we don't rely on wild caughts other than for injecting new blood to the pet trade

just a thought

Mori

Last edited:

PapaRoacher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
moricollins said:
or we could jsut focus on breeding RARER cabtive bred tarantulas instead of creating useless hybrids

just a thought

Mori
What could be rarer than a hybrid... it's literally one of a kind, and would make a cool addition to a collection...

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
research the MILLION other threads on this, i don't think we need to startt it up again, but then again, what od i know...

Mori

Rourke

ArachnoProletariat
Old Timer
PapaRoacher said:
Like, it's not exactly wrong to crossbreed dogs or cats... So, I don't see a problem with what I'm proposing...
Barring a very few notable cases, the "cross-breeding" of dogs and cats to which you refer is between variations within the same species. Cross-breeding between two different genera (Haplopelma and Grammostola) is a proposition which is tantamount to ridiculous. I think it's important to get a grip on some very fundamental biological concepts before entering into such a discussion.

PapaRoacher said:
Well, technically, there is no good reason for even owning a Tarantula
You're right about that, and I've always maintained that. So I won't argue vehemently against hybridization. Only against useless, repetitive, controversy-inciting discussion.

Rourke

Last edited:

PapaRoacher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
moricollins said:
research the MILLION other threads on this, i don't think we need to startt it up again, but then again, what od i know...

Mori
Well, I figured instead of sifting through a million threads, I'd just post and let everyone add opinions, it's much quicker... And if you find the topic boring, simply don't post, nobody is forcing you to...

versus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Rourke said:
Barring a very few notable cases, the "cross-breeding" of dogs and cats to which you refer is between variations within the same species. Cross-breeding between two different genera (Haplopelma and Grammostola) is a proposition which is tantamount to ridiculous. I think it's important to get a grip on some very fundamental biological concepts before entering in to such a discussion.

You're right about that, and I've always maintained that. So I won't argue vehemently against hybridization. Only against useless, repetetive, controversy-inciting discussion.

Rourke
1 2nd that too..

Rourke

ArachnoProletariat
Old Timer
PapaRoacher said:
Well, I figured instead of sifting through a million threads, I'd just post and let everyone add opinions, it's much quicker... And if you find the topic boring, simply don't post, nobody is forcing you to...
PapaRoacher, this attitude is exactly what I am here to discourage. Therefore I shall act decisively to discourage it. Placing your own convenience above the cluttering up of these boards serves no one but you.....and in the long run, doesn't even serve you. So please, learn to use the search engine. You will benefit, and so will our community. Thanks in advance!

Rourke

Status
Not open for further replies.