Poecilotheria rufilata or Pterinochilus murinus?

Fred

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what should I get poecilotheria rufilata or Pterinochilus murinus? my mom wants to know what I want for christmas and I have a choice between those 2 and the p rufilata is a sling and the P murinus is about 3"

what do you think?

Rourke

ArachnoProletariat
Old Timer
In my own opinion, there isn't much question. One is a rare, beautiful, captive-born animal....a gorgeous display bug that attains a very impressive size. The other is a run-of-the-mill, dirtbox, pleasecanIbiteyouplease, hide-in-the-web-all-day affair which, based on the size, is possibly, if not likely, wild-caught.

Don't get me wrong....I like Pterinochilus just fine, but there's just no comparison. It's like asking "Should I get a Yellow-nape Amazon, or a sparrow?"

Fred

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so in other words your saying Poecilotheria rufilata?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
i would concur with eveyrone,

although P. murinus are cool spiders themselves. very good eaters,

Mori

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rourke said:
A pic for you:
Hey Rourke do you know if rufilata can be sexed by there folio like some other pokies? I guess if so that would be a male, just trying to get a grip on sexing pokies. Thanks, Greg

azztigma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I just got rufilata, and let me tell you, its probably my favorite pokie right now :)

metallica is always #1 but its expensive so... :(

but rufie has incredible patterns

Rourke

ArachnoProletariat
Old Timer
Bearskin10 said:
Hey Rourke do you know if rufilata can be sexed by there folio like some other pokies? I guess if so that would be a male, just trying to get a grip on sexing pokies. Thanks, Greg
I don't know.....I have been wondering if that method would apply across the genus. I only have a single rufilata right now, too, so nothing to track for comparison.

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rourke said:
I don't know.....I have been wondering if that method would apply across the genus. I only have a single rufilata right now, too, so nothing to track for comparison.
Bummer I was hoping you would know, anyway I just took a quick shot of my "girl" at least thats what it was sold as? I am pretty sure it is a her though? Greg
Edit: Oh and to stay on track with this thread, Get the rufilata.......

Last edited:

usumbaraboy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i like the pokies and all i have a ski lankin or the faciata and its a nice bug but i also have an usumbara and they are great eaters and if they come out they are a beutiful bug but the pokies are just neat colours and are always out but it is compleated up to u. they both have their down sides and up sides lol like they both are very agressive i think not sure about the pokie but i know they are but they are also very nice to look at so its compleastly up to what u want

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
hands down the poec. ruf.. i love pokies i only have one. P ornata but still....they are awsome

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Bearskin10 said:
Bummer I was hoping you would know, anyway I just took a quick shot of my "girl" at least thats what it was sold as? I am pretty sure it is a her though? Greg
Edit: Oh and to stay on track with this thread, Get the rufilata.......

I have a P.fasciata (supposed to be anyway) male, about that size, and to me it looks like yours has the palps as well...but that's just my best guess. I love the Pokies either way.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
usumbaraboy said:
i like the pokies and all i have a ski lankin or the faciata and its a nice bug but i also have an usumbara and they are great eaters and if they come out they are a beutiful bug but the pokies are just neat colours and are always out but it is compleated up to u. they both have their down sides and up sides lol like they both are very agressive i think not sure about the pokie but i know they are but they are also very nice to look at so its compleastly up to what u want

Now I'm confused....What was the question??? {D

Just kidding. Go for the P. rufilata. Beautiful, big, spiders they are.

Oh yeah. @azztigma...Nope, subfusca numba 1, metallica numba 10.

Bearo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bearskin10 said:
To some extent, but i dont recomend to use it on rufilata..
either way, that sling looks to be to small anyway.. so I would not call that a male

Rourke said:
I have been wondering if that method would apply across the genus.
Nope, not really.. remember that its not a 100% way to see the gender but it gives a good idea... and it works better with some sp.s than others

Bearskin10>> rufilata is kinda strange with the colors so its not the ideal pokie to check the folio but it can give a good hint though

Deschain>> are you 100% that the pokie on the pic is male?

jeffh_x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
rufilata..murinuses are great too but easy to get and prolly less expensive..pokies are nice display Ts

versimomma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We got a OBT and its just mean!!!!! :evil:
Hey I realise Pokies can be too and we have a 2" rufilata and he is a sweetie! He eats reasonably well and just sits there all chilled where as our OBT will mostly only come out when the lights are out!
So P. rufilata. NO CONTEST. :clap:

Bearskin10

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Bearo said:
To some extent, but i dont recomend to use it on rufilata..
either way, that sling looks to be to small anyway.. so I would not call that a male
No not really to small around 4"-4.5"