Texas Redhead Centipede

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
High all:)

I'm new in the forum. i've 2 tarantulas and I was about to buy my 3rd but I decided to take a centipede , soo i've got the information on 'em and I "think" I would be ready, do you guys suggest me to buy a red head texas as first centipede?

Thx

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Or I would like you to tell me what pede's I should buy, I would like an active and visible Pede

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
oh .. and please tell me the best way to remove the centipede from the tank when we need to clean up

Jaytek

Arachnopeon
Or I would like you to tell me what pede's I should buy, I would like an active and visible Pede
if you're on a budget, i've heard that the scolopendra heros; the castaniceps or the arizonesis, are very active out and about. the one you are referring to is the castaniceps.

if you're willing to spend $200+ usd you can get a scolopendra gigantea, they are the largest centipede species available on the market as well as the most active.

then again, all centipedes vary in activity. i have a scolopendra subspinipes (subs are known for hiding) that is always out and never burrows. it's sort of like a gamble.

oh .. and please tell me the best way to remove the centipede from the tank when we need to clean up
as far as cleaning the tank... do you mean cleaning as in cleaning out what's left of prey? or replacing substrate etc?

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well to for the substrate im talking about, I heard it does'nt need much cleaing but ... is there a site that show a technique to get a centipede out of the tank

and do you suggest me the red head texas centipede as first centipede? I know the risk of being bite and I am verry carefull, even with my T's.

Jaytek

Arachnopeon
the heros wouldn't be a bad choice for you're first pede, their bite is not as bad as a subspinipes and they grow to a decent size.

as for getting a pede out of the tank, a good thing to do imo is to get a clean peanut butter jar or something to that effect, place the jar in the tank with the pede, take you're forceps (do this quickly and carefully) grab the pede and put it the jar and tighten the lid.

or you can get a water bucket, place the tank beside it, grab the pede with your forceps and place him in the bucket (quickly yet carefully).

make sure you're using foot long forceps or longer... better to be safe than sorry.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thx you, my choice will be the Red head centipede then

Jason la Jason

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
=]

even they look like they got armor plating, the pede's body isn't as hard as it looks so try not to "grab" it with ur forcept as you probably squeeze it too hard being nervous, just prod it to make it go the direction u want to, if u force it and get it's leg you might break something you don't want to

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i'll be extremly carefull, i'll just grab it as you said

I got some problem with my english cuz im canadian french, my english is'nt perfect

Jaytek

Arachnopeon
there has been reports of one kind of centipede "jumping 3-4 inches" and that is the malaysian cherry red (scolopendra subs) in pissed off mode.

i have not heard of any other pedes jumping other than this species.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thx you verry much for the replys everybady, this is all for the moment, and i'll go for a red head texas centipede