Collecting Scorps in South Carolina?

USMuscle9403

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey everyone, new to the boards. Have been keeping scorpions, tarantulas, true spiders, reptiles (getting back into breeding Leopard Geckos again very soon), amphibians and all kinda other crap ever since I was about 10 (I just turned 20). I've had the pleasure of collecting C. vittatus in Missouri and Arkansas, they are almost abundant in the 'glacial shelves' of rocks that jut out along roadsides and such. However, I am trying to find out whether there are any species that occur with any frequency here in South Carolina as I am looking to start collecting starting next Spring. I've heard scarce reports of V. carolinianus in Santee about 25 miles from here, but I've yet to come across any substantiation for these claims and all the 'ranges' of scorpions that I find don't list this species as occuring anywhere near that area.

So my question is, has anyone here had any experience or any knowledge of collecting scorpions in South Carolina? If so, what county and what area of the county? What species (I'm assuming only C. hentzi and V. carolinianus).

Thanks,
Allen

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I read somewhere in the Carolinas there are some Centuroides vittatus that got ship in from Texas in mequite wood.
Where did you collect at in MO/ARK? I live close to the border between the 2 states and yes there are lots of C vittatus around here lol

USMuscle9403

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was beginning to think this thread was a lost cause :D

To be honest, I'm not sure what COUNTY it was in, but I have relatives in Ava and Ozark and that's where I collected as well. My cousin is well-known around there since he owns several businesses, Tony Evans...maybe you've heard of him? It's been a couple years now, I can't tell you exactly where. Ava is about 45 miles south of Springfield if that gives you any idea. I also collected in an area of Arkansas just below the border of MO/AK called 'Rush'. I'm almost certain it isn't on the map, but it's almost like a tourist attraction now as it is the site of a huge miner's camp from back in the day and they preserved alot of the buildings. I've collected all kinds fo things in Mark Twain National Forest as well, including scorpions and tarantulas (Aphonopelma sp., almost surely hentzi). The thin, almost shale-like rock outcroppings are definitely the best for scorpions :)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OMG!!!! I live in Ava!!!!!
It is a small world lol. You must have been collecting on the cedar glades around here. The tarantula is A hentzi btw.

cricket54

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
When I lived in Southport, NC occasionally you could find these little scorpions. Wish I would have collected one now. I'd love to have one. Don't know if there would be any there anymore because the housing develpments have been growing around there. It was sandy pine forests without really any rocks anywhere. Not far from the ocean. I have never seen any archnodealer selling any of these. I hear they have been found as far north as Virginia.

Sharon