Avicularia Breeding:

MrArachnid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am planning on breeding the Avicularia avicularia male that I've had for quite some time now. He was my first Tarantula, so I figured I'd atleast make an attempt at the breeding aspect of the Tarantula-Hobby before he passes on, he's an absolute sweetheart of a specimen and I'd love to breed him.

At the present time, there is a female available to my knowledge, and I am planning on picking her up soon. I need any advice possible regarding breeding in general, and especially breeding the A.avics. Any advice and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...Also, how will I know if the male and the female are both sexually mature? I believe both of these specimens to be sexually mature, but I'm not certain. Out of the eight Arachnids that I presently own, the Avicularia avicularia seems to be the wisest choice for my first time experience with breeding T's. Thanks.

-Sincerely, Mr.Arachnid

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you check out the breeding report board there is a thread on the A.avic. As far as determining maturity in the males they should have the tibial spurs on the first set of legs as well he should have made a sperm web. As for determining maturity in a female, I don't know.
Hopefully someone with more experience with breeding them can give you more insight.

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Avic's are very easy to mate (so long as the females not to far from a moult) also there not hard to get good sac's from too dispite the problems that ppl some times get with raising sling's so id say a good first time breeding, just let the female settle down and web up first then put the male in and watch, it may help to let him get around her old tank/tub/old silk first to get him in the mood (this helps with older males IME)

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avicularia are easy to mate, but kind of dumb at the same time. I had to put my male and female right in front of each other before something happened. when i put the male in the cage initally he just kind of walked aroung and walked out of the cage loke "ok c ya later" they were left together in the cage until i saw a eggsack, so the mated alot.

but i went from this...