"Intestinal obstruction"...

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
The last molt of this scorpion (one month ago) was difficult : 3 last segments of the metasoma were jammed in the molt. I helped it and managed to free it.
But since this molt, as you can see on some of the pictures, the 3 last segments are dried...and the anus is blocked.
The scorpion live and eat very well since one month, but doesn't defecate...and some days ago, the intestin tore and you can see the result. The poor scorpion is alive but it hasn't much longer.
Greetings,
Eric

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sorry about the scorpion, but interesting pictures none the less. I had a similar problem with a C.graciilis who had his tail eaten off during a moult. In the end I just cut the entire tail off at segment 1, he survived for about a month as well but then died, despite the fact he could defecated and eat well.

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I also have a 2nd instar B.atlantis that has the same problem after a bad molt BUT I think he can defecate....
I'll try to take some photos too.
I'm expecting him to molt anyday now and hope for the best..

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
STrange coloring for p. Mossambicensis. unfortunatly for the molt. It looks fat. is that because of the fact it isn't able to go to the toilet (don't know the right words for that) Very good pictures:)

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
he might have upped the contrast to show the burst gut ;o

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
G. Carnell said:
he might have upped the contrast to show the burst gut ;o
No it's the just a 3rd instar ;) All of my scorplings are like that.
Greetings,
Eric

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

I had a juvenile C. gracilis once which lost the last Metasomasegment during a molt (don´t ask me how). It managed to stay alive until the next molt without defecating but wasn´t able to molt the metasoma properly and therefor died. Interesting pics by the way. Will you try to cut it up and make some photos of the inside after it´s death?

Greetings
Alex

azztigma

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm just wondering, would cutting off the metasoma segments up to its first one, save it? I know fusion said he tried it but it didnt survive...but wouldn't at least that way it have at least like 0.00001% chance to survive? Although it is probably too late now since the intestin tore...but why didn't you try to cut off the metasoma before, that way the scorp might have had a chance to survive? right? or am I totally wrong here...?

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
azztigma said:
I'm just wondering, would cutting off the metasoma segments up to its first one, save it? I know fusion said he tried it but it didnt survive...but wouldn't at least that way it have at least like 0.00001% chance to survive? Although it is probably too late now since the intestin tore...but why didn't you try to cut off the metasoma before, that way the scorp might have had a chance to survive? right? or am I totally wrong here...?
The problem is the anus is a distinct physical mechanism rather then just an opening that no doubt acts as a barrier between the outside world and the inside of the scorpion, I expect mine died from not being able to control what entered/left its body without the anus. But yes it does give it slightly more of a fighting chance.