Heatpads

Nikos

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
SO far I've been using lamps to heat my scorpion terrariums and I'm thinking of changing it to heat pads.

The problem is that I have absolutely no experience with heatpads and I don't know what wattage should I purchase...

So I need your assistance in this.
For your info:
The room I keep the scorps has an ambient temp of 18-20 C during winter time.
The terrarium are placed in selves in the wall and they are nowhere near the wall.

My guess would be heat pads of 15 watts, but as I said I have absolutely no idea about them.

Thanks for the assistance

Nazgul

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

15 watts should be ok. I´m using ones between 8 and 20 watts. But I should add that I´m having the plastic boxes with the scorpions within another glass tank which is isolated with styrofoarm. In there I´m raising the scorplings of bigger arid species and I´m keeping some smaller adult ones. The heat pads are reaching temperatures around 35 - 40°C/95 - 104 F directly on the surface, that should be enough for your needs.

Greetings
Alex

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use 12 watt heat pads and they are great, As Alex said their maximum temperature is about 40C but you can easily use them to get a whole range of tempeatures, I use mine to keep my scorps at about 30C (though I do use a thermostat) in the same kind of set up as Alex. You can use even a low watt one on a big tank if you insulate the back of the pad with a polystyrene sheet and put the mat inside the tank.