Gravid or premoult??

Vanan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In a fix here and need professional help! ;P Always assumed she was in premoult since she went off feed beginning of November and hasn't lost any weight. Had that fat end like a typical premoult T but lately she's beginning to look more rounder like some gravid T's I've seen. Only thing is, she's not seen a male since last November, that I know of. She was in a petstore when I bought her. Dunno if they can retain sperm so long but it may be possible as she's never moulted for me in my care since I got her. :?

I need some convincing here whether she's gravid or just premoult as I moved her into a different container cos the old one was too humid at the bottom and saw too much mould. Her new cage is a large KK and is dry with a big water dish, my preferred way of raising humidity. If she's gravid I would probably need to make the subtrate more humid (to not dry out the eggsac) and maybe reduce ventilation, right? :? :wall:

:8o :p

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What species is this?

They can retain sperm up until their next molt (if they molt without using it, it's gone). Are you sure she was introduced to a male?

Is refusal of food a sign of a T that is about to lay eggs? I would think they would eat plenty to make sure they have the proper energy and nutrients to make it through the process.

I would say probably pre-molt, but I'm not an expert by any means.

Vanan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh oopsy! Forgot to mention that she was ID-ed as a Haplopelma sp. "Vietnam".

You may be right cos I keep hearing about gravid T's eating. Like doh! It's just that the shape of her abdomen is round and not ovalish like I'm used to with premoult T's. Hopefully she is just in premoult and I won't have to worry.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm having similar symptoms with my H.lividum. Big round abdomen, eats but rarely, 2-3 crix or super worms a week. Mated her about 2 months ago so I'm hoping. Mated 2 other females of this species, with the male I have, but they are not as easily seen. They seem to be eating every day. I have read that they need to be moist until they drop their sac and then to dry them out.

Vanan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cool thanks! Maybe all this paranoia is due to me not having an adult moult on me yet. All slings. :p :8o . I'm pretty sure now that she's probably ony in premoult. *fingers crossed*.

Good luck on your lividum David! Hope she takes! :worship: