Vaseline safe for T's???

ghost_tomb

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well i'm going to move my T.blondi sling (2") into the smallest kritter keeper, now i've been power feeding my T so his abdomen is very round/fat i don't want him climbing to the top and falling.

So is it safe to cover the walls with Vaseline to prevent him for climbing?
their ground based so its not going to screw up his natural habbits, besides he spends all of his time on his sponge playing king of the castle.

so is it safe? would also end the problem of how to stop him climbing when hes bigger:)

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
No offense, but I think you've already screwed up his natural habits by power-feeding.

I don't know if regular vaseline would hurt it or not, but it act as insulation and increase the temperature.

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Petroleum jelly could very well clog the book lungs thus sufficating your blondi. Keep the substrate high enough so that falling won't be an issue. What the heck is the sponge doing in there? Please tell me you are NOT using a sponge as a water source. Power feeding will almost surely shorten the life span of your blondi.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I thought this was going to be another blondi breeding question...

Yeah, lose the sponge, regardless of it's purpose.

When you say "powerfeed" exactly how often etc?

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
why dont you just put in a lot of substrate instead of vaseline...put it almost to the top so when the T stands it will have its legs almost on the top of the cage and some on the substrate..

Sandra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Omg :} ROTFL

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sheri said:

Yeah, lose the sponge, regardless of it's purpose.

When you say "powerfeed" exactly how often etc?

Wll what I was about to say has lost it's punch.....

ghost_tomb

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It has a water dish (I’ve read to use one countless times here and I also have a T keeping book), and the sponge was one I brought from a pet store, which was (as said on the packing, if I can find it I’ll post what it says) meant for T's, though he just uses it as a vantage point. What’s it going to do to them?

As for power feeding I made thread to find out the pro's and cons about it to make sure I wasn't going to hurt my T and according to some experienced T keepers as long as I make sure he can't fall and hurt himself I can feed him as much as he can eat.
You can read it here: clicky
And as for a shorter life that’s normally when T's are kept in higher temps than normal causing them to mature faster thus having shorter life spans (to my knowledge anyway), I’m just feeding it more. Now considering that they can live for a very long period of time I doubt that loosing a few years will matter much (since it could live to be 20) and it is just a bug, and according to some scientists who studied arachnid behavior the least evolved, brain wise.

Besides there have to be countless instances where T's are exposed to way more food than they can eat in the wild so their really isn't anything that unnatural about it.

I'll setup his new tank so the eco soil comes close to the roof, however I would like to be able to see him so if the soil comes to within 2" of the roof viewing him may be tricky, plus considering the hatch is dead center wouldn't it be hard to remove any prey remains without removing the lid, and if I do the guy could climb out and fall which neglects the point in having a new taller tank.

Any advice? This is a T.blondi how well can they climb plastic anyway?

Good point about the lungs MrFeexit, shame:( though on the bright side I have heard talk of teflon tape that stops roaches climbing over it, so anyone know if this is safe with T's?

as for how many times I feed it, I feed it every 2 days, it eats either a wax worm, a black cricket, a wax worm pupa (if I have any), a lobster roach sub adult (finally got a colony just for it) going to try a pinkie a some point, and wax moths (again if I have any) so a diet that has good variety to it:)
(Also I never leave food in with it, just in case)

And lastly everybody CHILL please note that I’m checking everything out BEFORE I do it to make sure its safe etc and my little T.blondi is my joint favorite pet so I’m trying to make sure I do nothing that can harm it.

So now I want to know why everybody is up in arms about a sponge?
And would Teflon tape be safe to use to stop a T from climbing?

ps a reponse really shouldn't use 525 words :D

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ghost_tomb said:
And lastly everybody CHILL please note that I’m checking everything out BEFORE I do it to make sure its safe etc and my little T.blondi is my joint favorite pet so I’m trying to make sure I do nothing that can harm it.

So now I want to know why everybody is up in arms about a sponge?
And would Teflon tape be safe to use to stop a T from climbing?
:D
I think everyone is as cool as a cucumber.
That doesn't sound like power feeding... feeding well maybe.

2" - I think you'd be fine with 4" from the top no problem.
Sponges suck up and hold bacteria, especially if they are wet.

I haven't heard of using the tape... I really don't think you're going to need to.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Why sponges are bad

ghost_tomb said:
ps a reponse really shouldn't use 525 words :D
Can you say perfect breeding ground for bacteria and other nasties. A damp sponge is simply an invitation for all kinds of nasty little critters to start growing in your T's tank.

ghost_tomb

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
right well out with the sponge it is, little T won't be happy lol

and sheri when i say i feed it every 2 days thats as much as it can/will eat, i feed it full grown wax worms which can have a bigger body than little T and lobster roachs that have only 1 molt before there adult, so its all BIG meals. so i think i should say it eats every 2 days.

as for the tape i just want to be certain that it won't damage itself, and i'm also thinking about when its bigger and will be at a much higher risk of injuring itself from falling. just playing it safe:)

thanks for all the replys:) :clap:

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ghost_tomb said:
Because? :?

There is no need....just raise the level of the substrate and that will be fine...

Regards, Mike

NightCrawler27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
Can you say perfect breeding ground for bacteria and other nasties. A damp sponge is simply an invitation for all kinds of nasty little critters to start growing in your T's tank.
sponges are only a good breeding ground for bacteria if you let it be that ..i have sponges in all my T's tanks ..and i properly clean the sponges every day ..so if you use a sponge make sure you u clean them every day (i boil my sponges in a pan )and all my T's are very healthy....my s'lings eat every 2 days i just keep the temp and humidity up ..as for vasiline i have never tried that nor have i used tape ..just wanted to let you know about the sponges..there are correct ways to use them and wrong ways to use them ..stick with cleaning the sponge and u wont have any probs

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ghost_tomb said:
right well out with the sponge it is, little T won't be happy lol
What is your reason for wanting to use a sponge? Because the T likes it?

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi ghost tomb,

I really wouldnt worry too much about the abdomen splitting from a fall, it is a risk, but a very small one, especially with such a small tarantula. A distance of 6" from the substrate to the top of the tank will be fine, and just make sure there arent any sharp objects in the tank that it may fall on. Don't worry about trying to use any sort of barrier to prevent climbing, if anything it may make the tarantula more likely to fall as it is exploring it's environment.

The feeding regime you are using is fine, i see no problem in feeding the spider as much as it want to eat. This surely isnt entirely unnatural, as there are likey to be times in nature when there is abundant food sources avalable. Equally, for those of you that like to feed a lot less (including me), there is no problem with that either, as it is a situation that tarantulas are equally likely to encounter in nature.

Cheers,

ghost_tomb

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well the sponge is in there/was in there becuase i wanted to have something that would bring up water from the eco soil and cause an area of increased humidity, and its also some decoration, i have tried starting off a burrow for it but it never seemed interested, so i was hoping that if it does start diging one that it would do it under the sponge, which isn't about to crush it if it does. He's just used it as a vantage point.

So well fed T's aren't as delicate to injuring themselves as I thought. {D

thanks for all the help :clap: :worship: