how can i breed flower mantis?

alex21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i would like to know instructions as to how to breed them. if anyone can offer good advice, i'd really appreciate it.

thanks

Sheldy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Put a Male and Female together ;) - Play some Barry White.

alex21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
funny sheldy, i'm serious. i have two adult flower mantis and i'm getting an adult male soon. i would like to breed them..however, i want to know if the process is complicated.

Sheldy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well you might want to say what type of flower mantis you are talking about? I've only managed to mate a pseudocreobroter whalbergii sucessfully, and although my creobroter was happy to take up the challenege, he was a little over zelous and punctured his mate and killed her in the process :(
All you have to do is make sure each mantis is about a month into adulthood, feed both the female and the male until they wont eat any more then put the male behind the female and pray ;) I cant stress this enough - make sure that the female is so well fed that she wont take any more food what so ever.
Some breeders sugest trying to breed at dawn or dusk as that is when the horemones are released, but i find that as long as there is a good amount of daylight, things should be fine.
Usually with bigger mantids if i have to go out or sleep I leave them on a plant in my room so that the male has a better chance of surival when dismounting. However with smaller mantids, the males are more active and harder to find and so its not really possible to do that. So my advice to you is to find a large enough container to put them in with enough cover so that when the males dismounts he should have a pretty good chance of survival.
Good luck!

alex21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well, what two different types of flower mantis are there? what is the difference between them? do both of them have different mating habits? if so, let me know. i appreciate your info.
thanks

Sheldy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
There are more than 2!
The most common within the breeding circles are the following:
Hymenopus coronatus - orchid mantis: Rare and expensive to obtain, looks like an orchid, very pretty. Very large lobed legs, usually white.
Pseudocreobroter whalbergii/occellata - spiney flower/target/#9 mantis mostly white with green stripes. It has an "eye" on its abdomen, and another "eye", or "target" on its wing. Has a line of spikes under its abdomen.
creobroter meleagris/gemmatus - malasian flower mantis: Yellow, green or brown in colour, target on wings.
Blepharoppsis mendica - devils flower mantis - usually creamy brown, but colour can vary. very spikey all over (very small spines though) thick furry antenna.
Theopropus elegans - *dont know the common name* - White with green stripes,Green wings, with 2 dots either side at the top and a white band going accross it in the middle.

It is most likely that you will have a pseudocreobroter whalbergii as this is the most common flower mantis in circulation at the moment, but it could also be a pseudocreobroter occellata or creobroter sp. as these are also fairly easy to obtain.

As i mentioned previously, Ive only managed to successfully mate a pseudocreobroter whalbergii, although in another 2 weeks ill try my other creoborter, so as for breeding habbits, i cant say too much, but just try what i said earlier and you should be fine.

Last edited:

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
don't you need bee mantids to pollinate them

:rimshot:

thank you thank you, your a wonderful crowd, remember to tip your waitress