B. smithi question

port513

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi!

I will get a tiny Brachypelma smithi and it's unsexed.

My question now is how long a male may live?

Last edited:

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
that depends on how fast you let it grow. the warmer the temp, the faster your spider will grow.... and mature. also depends on the amound of food.
with these factors i would say 3-9 years to mature, and then another year.

port513

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
metallica said:
that depends on how fast you let it grow. the warmer the temp, the faster your spider will grow.... and mature. also depends on the amound of food.
with these factors i would say 3-9 years to mature, and then another year.
Temp will be around 24C.

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ah @24 C, let me see the chart..... here it is, smithi, 24 C.... yes: 1281 days if you feed 2.35 crickets a week.

port513

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
metallica said:
ah @24 C, let me see the chart..... here it is, smithi, 24 C.... yes: 1281 days if you feed 2.35 crickets a week.
Hehe, 2.35 cricket, how precise is that ;)

Bloodletting

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
B Smithi

The B. smithi is a very slow maturing tarantula. Matter of fact, they are on the CITES II list and can no longer be wild caught. It can take up to five to seven years for a b. smithi to completely mature. male or female.

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
B. vagans is also on the CITES II list, does this make it grow slower?

port513

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bloodletting said:
The B. smithi is a very slow maturing tarantula. Matter of fact, they are on the CITES II list and can no longer be wild caught. It can take up to five to seven years for a b. smithi to completely mature. male or female.
Then I will have a long lived even if it's a male ;)

I will get it from my local petshop that breed this species.

Bloodletting

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
metallica said:
B. vagans is also on the CITES II list, does this make it grow slower?

Yes, the CITES II list is similar to God, it determines, how fast t's grow. Once they take the vagans off the list, it will grow much faster.

port513

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bloodletting said:
Yes, the CITES II list is similar to God, it determines, how fast t's grow. Once they take the vagans off the list, it will grow much faster.
Hey! and we have polar bears walking down the streets here in Sweden ;)

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bloodletting said:
Actually, CITES II doesn't prevent them from being collected or exported, it only means that permits must be issued from the country of origin and that the numbers are recorded. Mexico has a ban on exporting any wildlife, and does not issue permits so Mexican tarantulas are generally unavailble unless captive bred. Most of the bright red/orange Brachys are Mexican. In the US, we have the Lacey Act which requires the USFWS to keep tabs on the pet trade for animals illegally smuggled from other countries. Normally, once a smuggleg gets out of the country of origin, he's home free, but not if he's coming to the US. This is one of the reasons why so many spiders from closed countries like Mexico, Peru, Brazil etc. enter the US hobby as captive bred from elswhere.

Wade

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
port513 said:
Hey! and we have polar bears walking down the streets here in Sweden ;)

You Swedes seem fairly obsessed with the whole polar bear thing.
I should offer some sort of tourist service...

Males are more fun, in some ways... seem to grow faster, and then it's exciting finding them a date before they expire...

port513

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sheri said:
You Swedes seem fairly obsessed with the whole polar bear thing.
I should offer some sort of tourist service...

Males are more fun, in some ways... seem to grow faster, and then it's exciting finding them a date before they expire...
The polar bear thing is the most exciting thing that we got here except "Fäbod jäntan" maybe ;)

If it turns out to be a male I will try to find a good female for him and if it's a female I will have to look for a good male ;)

metzgerzoo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Bloodletting said:
LOL Then C. crawshyi HAS to be on that list too, right? {D

B. smithi is a slow grower, CITES or not, so you'll have several years with your little T. ;)

JDS

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
For comparison I have 2 male B. smithi bought with a same sized B. boehmei (1.5 inches) years ago. The boehmei matured in 18 months, the smithi are still not mature 3 years later. Now I hope they mature in different years so I have two chances to mate with my females.