Arachnopeon
I got a Pterinochilus Murinus few days ago. I did alot of research
b4 i bought the tarantula, and I was aware that these are quite
aggressive. (I just didn't know how aggressive) When I brought
him to his new tank, he seemed to be ok. But given enough hours
to get familiar with his new home, he became a psycho that does
NOT appreciate anything in his "throne". When I stuck a chopstick
in his tank to adjust some things, he followed it around and bit the
hell out of it many times. (They're pretty damn fast too.)
My stupid question is, is this a usual behavior? I understand that he
doesn't want my chopstick in his tank but damn. I didn't expect him
to chase it around. Are the Pterinochilus Murinus THIS aggressive?

Lochala

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, all I can say is that they are called Orange Bitey Things for a reason, yours is just being a typical pissant Usambara. :)

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I have 3 P. murinus slings that run and hide in their burrows at the slightest disturbance. I'm sure if I tried to get them out of there, they'd do the same thing.

Rounder

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've had a P. murinus for a couple of months now, the first day I had it, I'd placed it in the kritter keeper and was using a wooden dowel to move around its water dish. It lept at the dowel and probably caught at least 1" of air and then landed, fangs reared and almost tipped over with the threat display i got. I laughed my butt off, yeah the nickname OBT - orange bitey thing is precisely what they are.

Now that mine is settled, any disturbance and it runs for its hole.

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i had a p murinus as well and it does the same as what u said, but i would prefer to call it Defensive rather than Aggressive . It just doesnt like people moving around in its "home" . . . and about its speed, careful with it. it's hard to catch if it escapes!! btw, back to your question, YES your OBT is normal :D

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All I can say is WOW. I didnt know that they were THAT bad. Good luck!. I think i will stick with the pretty skittish ones.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Randy said:
i had a p murinus as well and it does the same as what u said, but i would prefer to call it Defensive rather than Aggressive . It just doesnt like people moving around in its "home" . . . and about its speed, careful with it. it's hard to catch if it escapes!! btw, back to your question, YES your OBT is normal :D
'Attacking is the best way of defending' :)

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
superiorcannabi said:
I got a Pterinochilus Murinus few days ago. I did alot of research
b4 i bought the tarantula
Not to sound rude, but how much research did you do? Everything you are experiencing is pretty widely known about them and should have turned up in your reading about their care. Glad your here and glad your enjoying it, but I just had to ask.

superiorcannabi

Arachnopeon
Thanks everybody! Now I know that my OBT is just being who he is!
I love these Ts, they're so vibrant in color. Milkman! you're not being
rude at all man. I guess I just wasn't ready for what OBT was gonna
bring to the table. LoL. Thanks guys!

usumbaraboy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yeah welcome to the obt world like a lot of people say. mine is quite vilent. when he comes out and i catch him he runs around the cage hissing and giving me the threat display. but its really cool to see them do that and urs is just the stario typical obt.

chique

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cr8zY said:
yup. Handling OBT can be pretty "exciting" LoL
HANDLING! :eek: may I point out orange BITEY thing, bitey! bitey! bitey. You really is cr8zy! {D

I don't own one myself, have'nt got any shelves left, but if i did have one I don't think i'd fancy handling it, if you indeed ment holding it? {D

Adam

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think a lot of people like OBTs because they're generally pissed at the world as a whole. It's nice to be able to identify with your pets, is it not? Or is that just me... ?

tarantula_tom

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My OBT has never showed any aggression towards me. It has always stayed in its tunnels while I had to do anything in its tank... I finish, it comes back out.

Decapod73

Arachnopeon
[newbie]
am I correct in guessing that OBT stands for old-world burrowing tarantula? If not, then what? if so, then are there similar acronyms for other classes of Ts?
[/newbie]

jeffh_x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Decapod73 said:
[newbie]
am I correct in guessing that OBT stands for old-world burrowing tarantula? If not, then what? if so, then are there similar acronyms for other classes of Ts?
[/newbie]
OBT stands for Orange Bitey Thing mate...hehe

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Obt

[newbie]
[/newbie]
Orange Baboon Tarantula (or Orange Bitey Thing);)

clam1991

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
HANDLING! :eek: may I point out orange BITEY thing, bitey! bitey! bitey. You really is cr8zy! {D

I don't own one myself, have'nt got any shelves left, but if i did have one I don't think i'd fancy handling it, if you indeed ment holding it? {D
if you cup and obt and then handle it it'll purr like a kitten
they are just trying to protect their home:D

have fun with your obt they are a trip{D

darkeye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And don't forget... they can CLIMB that chopstick!

Surprisingly fast, too!

m