Water Gel

rknralf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yesterday as I was visiting several petshops, I came across a small King Baboon curling up in a bowl of the yellow water gel. When I told the sales person that the tarantula needed water, he said that they all do fine with the water gel. When I told him the King Baboon was going into the death curl, he said, it was okay and just sat there until crickets were put in the tank, then it would leave and eat them.
Anyway, on to my question.
Can tarantulas drink from the water gel? I know spiderlings can drink capillary water from the substrate, but I don't believe they can get enough water from the gel to survive.
Any thoughts?

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For drinking purposes I would say yes the T can drink the gel. This doesnt solve the problem of humidity though. This is likely the cause because the T is so dry he cant keep up simply by drinking gel... the store should know better than this.

It needs a water dish and slightly higher humidity levels... plus if this is a king babboon it needs a burrow!

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
rknralf,
Gel would work fine, Thought not recomended like chris said. As far as humidity moist substrate should be provided for t's like the king baboon. In places like the desert most tarantulas get there water from the food they drink. Take a criket for example, over 70% water!

Sincerely,

Brandon