Collecting Today in Central Texas

lhoy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey all,

It was very sunny and nice (despite a strong wind) so I took my son over the lake near our house to flip some rocks. On the 20th rock or so, we found this centruroides vittatus!!! :clap: Only scorp of the day, but a nice one.

First pics are en situ, rest are in the new home. Second pic on rock is crappy but at least shows how he was all bundled upside down on the rock before I flipped it.

Lee Hoy
Georgetown, TX

Attachments

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
ooo im jealous. That is some really nice colour on him. How big is it?

Hey Vanan, how are yours doing?

lhoy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would say total length of the Opisthosoma is 1.5". Total length of prosoma and mesosoma together is .75". There are fairly small but the coloring on this one is much better than the pale one I bought at a local shop (which was sold as c. exilicauda).

Thanks for the positive feedback on the pics.

I will be heading to Big Bend next May for a week and can't wait to see what all I turn up then. :clap:

Lee

Lochala

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Because I live by a quarry, every piece of debris yields a scorpion when turned over. In the past week, I have found 10 in my room alone. :eek:

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi !

Great pictures. It is nice to see a fellow member posting pics of Centruroides vittatus from Texas. :worship:

I remember your name from the arachnid_world group list earlier this year with inquiring about tarantulas.

See this thread (arachnoboards) for a similar topic with C. vittatus. Click

I'd love to get pictures of what you find the Big Bend Region of Texas. I had some old stomping grounds in the Big Bend Ranch State Park in the mid 90s. Now that I live in Amarillo unlike Abilene I doubt I'll get back into the Trans-Pecos this spring. Plans may change though.

A wonderful area chock full of vaejovids and scorpionids (Diplocentridae now placed in the family Scorpionidae :rolleyes: )

Seasons Greetings,

Sinc. Chad :)

Vanan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey Raan! Mine are doing fine! Eating better since I increased the temps and both are in premoult now I believe. :)

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
nice, hot and humid...mine have been mature for almost a month now. They are kinda tiny still, but it is nice to have them all together in their tank. I'll take some pics when I get back home.

I'm pretty positive I got 2 males and 2 females..so thats gonna be good. I do wish their colour was as nice as when they were juvies...they got quite bland when mature. Oh well.