What food except pinhead cricket?

port513

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What food can I give my 0.5 inch B. smithi except pinhead crickets?

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Some people culture fruit flies, but at this size, try chopping some meal worms. Slings especially seem capable of scavenging. Just ensure you check often for mold growth on the remains.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
I have yet ot feed any of my slings (or any of my tarantulas for that matter) pinhead crickets. Only for the smallest of slings do i feel this would be necessary.

My 1/2" B. vagans slings are eating about 1/4" crickets which I smush the heads of to give the T a bit more of an advantage. I ALWAYS watch my slings to make sure they eat the cricket though, if they don't after 5 minutes i remove the food.
You can also feed pre-smushed mealworms (my slings seem to love mealworms that have been cut in half (must be the open area so they can just starrt sucking the juice out)

Mori

Ultimate Instar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You can feed them just about anything that you would feed to an adult T. Just pre-kill the prey and cut it up into sling-sized pieces. Slings and adults will scavenge for dead food. Some individuals may refuse certain types of food so you may need to experiment a bit. I've also noticed that they will accept food that was previously frozen. Ts are remarkably easy to care for.

Karen N.

brachymad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You could try squat maggots. The type used by course fishermen. They are easy to use ant the slings seem to love them .

Darryl Albers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sling food

hatchling locusts , my smithi sling loves them , exept they
climb quite well . great for arboreals though cuase they travel
and climb instinctively upwards often straight into a tubular web and wham ! {D

port513

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This sounds really nice, it's pretty hard to always have the right sized cricket ready.

I'll try maggot, mealworms and prekilled larger crickets right away ;)

And BTW how often should I feed?

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
as often as they'll eat, Brachy's tend to get very fat before a moult.

Just watch when you feed it (if the food is alive) and if it hasn't eaten then remove the food after 5-10 minutes.

When i feed dead food to my T's i leave it in overnight, ,then remove in the morning.,

Mori

port513

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have one more question here.

When her T arrived it was on damp sphagnum moss, this is fine I think but it gives me 2 problems.

1. It's damn hard to find the spider even if it's in a small cup

2. It's pretty hard to find it's food if it hasn't eaten it.

I have Coco-Humus that I could use, should I change the substrate?