World's largest roach found in Borneo

Lochala

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It looks a lot like the harlequin beetles we find here in the southwest U.S.

nightbreed

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was reading the article at the BBC site when I noticed the search bar at the top of the page, I started to wonder if they had any stories about T's I did a search and sure enough they had a few, while I was sifting through the various reports I came across this

click here

WTH are they on? I especially liked the part about the T having its fangs removed :wall: then they say it could make a child sick, how with no fangs? maybe if the kid ate it :?
I know its an old newsreport so if its already been posted on here somewhere I apologise :)

Last edited:

El Johano

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very cool, I'm visiting Borneo this summer, I'll keep my eyes open ;)

Angelo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
very cool looking roach...its so awesome that there still could be all these incredible animals out there that humans still havent found. we're sending satellites out to find new planets and galaxies, but we still havent found everything on our own planet yet.

the article on that b. smithi was ridiculous. great job spreading ignorance, bbc. that dude Andy Reynolds has got some serious tarantula info issues. what a shame...

ORION_DV8

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I read a report once about a spider that could lull ppl to sleep by playing soft rock then it would suck the life out of them before ovipositing eggs in their brains while spitting large flammable hairs that........ oh yeah and it can give children headaches!
ORION

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I have reported the errors in the tarantula article to the BBC.

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Did Indonesia get effected by the Tsunami at all? Because if it did then those "monster" coakroaches are in trouble. BTW someone correct me if i am providing "incorrect" information.

That is a really interesting article, and hopefully we can find more and more new species. Thanks for providing the website Mike (SpiderShoppe)

James

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Whole Lot Of Bs!!

Schlyne said:
Nightbreed, your link is seems to be broken...

I think this is what you wanted :p
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/3201121.stm
That is the biggest bullshit (excuse my language) that i have ever heard! They make tarantulas sound worse than a NUKE!!

"It would rather SUCK you to DEATH rather than bite"

I mean CMON! I have had tarantulas for a couple years now yes i am only 14 but when they make the most gentle tarantula known sound like a hairy BEAST. These are the ads that cause apathy to others here in the world.

I mean Brachypelma smithi is by far the easiest tarantula for me to handle and IMO rarely flicked hairs.

I really feel bad for people who listen and read that junk and then believe it!
And when did tarantulas suck people to death and SPIT hairs? False info :? :wall: :wall:

Take care,

James

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
are they safe to feed big t's?

not that il be allowed to import them into the UK :(

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
mimic58 said:
Yes im sure t's at the right size can take the roaches easily, as i head not much information has been given about the roach but an adult t can surely take that roach out.

James

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They max out at 5 if they're lucky, and this thread is nearly 2 years old...

Mat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Why not? Certainly there would be no problem bringing them in through UK Customs at the airport - live roaches are not on any protected species lists. Getting them out of Borneo may be a bigger problem. Perhaps you could find your suitcase has been ''infested'' when you get home......:)

Halgeir

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My question is - Where is the picture of the millipede they discovered!?

Hisserdude

Arachnoking
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but does anyone know the scientific name for this roach species? Was it ever even described?