poll:do you think that how fast a tarantula grows determans if its a male or female

do you think that a t's growth rate determains if its male or femail

• yes

Votes: 15 39.5%
  • no

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • sometime

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • dont know

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters

usumbaraboy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have heard that you can derermain if a tarantula is male or female by how fast they molt and grow each time and i was wondering if thats true.

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
We had a gigantic discussion on this exact topic not long ago. Hit up a search and check that thread out. The topic was discussed inside and out.

Vanan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
No evidence to prove anything yet. I've started records on a small group of P. murinus slings (all obtained when 2nd instar) and we'll see if there's any obvious trends. I can already see difference in growths and number of moults.

usumbaraboy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well see im doing some kind of research on my l parahybana and my uncles and mine is visably bigger then his and they were from the same egg sac. and my uncle is also doing some research on his 2 stripe knee slings and they also have a noticalble size difference so i think that in most cases if its growing fast then it might be male but im not sure if thats true

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No offence, but I think you have it backwards. The gender of the T determines its growth rate, not the growth rate determines the gender. I think you mean that a Male grows and matures faster, not that if you feed it more and raise its temps so it grows faster that it will turn into a male.

Males seem to grow and mature faster than females. But some people say that that is not true because the females mature at the same rate it is just that they are smaller when they do.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?p=251253#post25125253#19

Last edited:

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The growth rate of a Tarantula, just like anyother animal, is determined by its enviroment, and how well it eats.

-Mattyb

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Vanan said:
No evidence to prove anything yet. I've started records on a small group of P. murinus slings (all obtained when 2nd instar) and we'll see if there's any obvious trends. I can already see difference in growths and number of moults.
I see the word "instar" used here and there. Excuse the question, but what does it mean?

jeffh_x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
stages of a newborn sling... eggs with legs-1st instar, so and so...

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Instar is the period between molts, at any age. Well except for eggs w/ legs.