Why is handling a "T" a prerequisite for beginners?

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have read several threads over the past couple of weeks from people very new to the hobby, all looking for a "T" which is best for handling.

Why does everybody think to own a "T", is to handle a "T". Yes, some people do handle "T's"...........but the difference here is, most who handle, have also had "T's" for years and know what to expect.

Years ago, my B. smithi shot up my arm, behind my neck, it startled the h*ll out of me, not to mention the itchy hairs it left behind.

Years later, I would never put one of my prized "T's" at risk by handling.
I believe they are just content in thier little worlds without ever handling them.

dotdman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
After my initial purchase of a Grammostola rosea when I was 7, I delved strictly into old world T's. Even now, the only new world species I have are two Therophosa blondi and a Phormictopus cancerides. All in all, I don't buy my T's with any desire to handle them in mind.

I think I'm just as content in my little world surrounded by tanks as they are inside the tanks that surround me (and I'm quickly running out of shelf space... looks like that long overdue arachnid closet is in order). That's not to say that I mind if an experienced hobbyist is handling his or her T's (though the inexperienced ones tend to bug me), it's just not my thing.

On the other hand, I have been known to hold my Parabuthus leiosoma. The last time was this Christmas when I took the opportunity to show my much younger cousins that scorpions aren't the terrible frightening bity things that most people around here would have you believe. I also have two very very calm Parabuthus leiosoma, so that tends to make it easier.

Kindest kindest,

Kevin P.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Why does everybody think to own a "T", is to handle a "T". Yes, some people do handle "T's"...........but the difference here is, most who handle, have also had "T's" for years and know what to expect.
I guess that many who are new to the hobby just want a T that can both be handled "like" a cat or dog (because they are used to thinking they can touch their pets) and also because the T's that are rather easily handled at the same time are rather docile. Easy to begin with. I think its only natural for most people to start with a G. rosea for example.

dotdman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And if you're like me, lots of dead fish.......

Kindest kindest,

Kevin P.

druid8783

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As a beginner I figured I'd respond :D

My first T is a Chaco golden knee. I wanted a docile species so I could get used to the whole T experience and so I wouldn't be as jumpy about putting my hand in the habitat for cleaning and such. The fact that it is a calm little booger that usually crawls up on my hand while doing things in the enclosure is just an added bonus.

I agree with Cirith Ungol on that beginners look for a handleable T because they are used to being able to hold and interact with pets, and they, sometimes naively, expect this to be true of T's.

Oh, I have kept fish for years. I have a goldfish that is 10 years old in January. I love fish :} I think that is why I'm used to the whole "look don't touch" concept :D

Last edited:

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Never had much luck with fish myself.

It just seems people are more worried about what harm the "T" can do to them (urticating hairs, fangs and venom) while handling, rather than the harm that inexperienced handling could cause to the "T".

Cats and dogs require attention, "T's" on the other hand don't.

Last edited:

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've actually had a lot of people react with shock when I tell them that I handle my ts as little as possible. They don't understand why I'd want a pet that I can't hold. I basically explain to them that my hobby is similar to keeping tropical fish. I study, I observe, I enjoy, and that's enough for me.

I have, however, urged friends who were interested in ts to start out with a less aggressive species so that they would get used to caring for a tarantula without having to dodge dripping fangs right off the bat. I'd imagine that for an inexperienced keeper, the threat display of a goliath birdeater or Usumbara would be off-putting.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
I agree completley with galeogirl.

Had that discussion myself about why I'd get a T since I couldn't pet it. I said I CAN pet it! :D It's just a question if she likes it or not... well after that little definition I went on mentioning that people who keep fish don't either get their fish out to pet it or to have it flap across the table...
I asked in turn why these people would keep dogs who bark, jump up your legs and do their little thing and need to be braught outside several times a day. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs - but I think I'll never get one because I could proberbly put a few terrariums on that spot where it'd have its sleeping place {D

I think an inexperienced keeper who doesn't have a clue what to expect would most likely be at great risk to injure his T in case it dashed at the owner and tried to bite. Because then the owner might react defensively himself and push or hit the spider or even jolt backwards possibly in a very bad case pull the terrarium off the shelf or something like that.

I'd absolutely want to know that a first time T owner was absolutely well informed, mature and very responsible about the T in question in case it was an aggressive species like OBT, King Baboon or any other very likely to be aggressive one. Since it is very hard for a newcomer to figure out what to know beforehand I'd never recommend an aggressive T in the beginning but would always vote for the kinds of rosea, curly hair or smithi. I think rosea is best because it doesn't have the same humidity needs most other Ts have.

Last edited:

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I completely understand the fact that Ts arent a "pet" type pet. My 1st was a rosie. She was the 1st T i had and I handled her a few times. It took me almost a year before i would touch her, due to that underlying fear. Now I have an 8 year old daughter. I got her over her fear of snakes with a ball python i had. (still not another animal that should be held much) I still havent gotten my daughter completely over the fear of Ts. But my Versi helped alot. somewhat skittsh but was patient and slow when Alexis was near.
I was wondering how do u teach kids that Ts arent as bad as the myths and stories say without that physical human interaction?

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
I was wondering how do u teach kids that Ts arent as bad as the myths and stories say without that physical human interaction?
Same problem with my mother. She's an absolute nature person and kind and understanding and all that but when it comes to cats, snakes, scorpions and tarantulas she could freak out! (And I own them all! I guess something went wrong in my upbringing)

I think it's a hard thing to unteach fear other than with confronting the person in question with the object of that fear to prove that there IS nothing to fear. If that goes wrong and the animal does something unexpected that can be perceived as harmful then you're actually doing more damage than good. I guess the best sollution is to just keep such an animal and show the fearful person how confident you are keeping that animal. That way you neither damage the animal nor have to expect that the fearful person gets a bad impression. You can inform and teach the person about the animal and let them approach the animal on their own terms. I guess that's the best and safest way. It might take time tho.

I myself have a problem with that tho. I feel like getting mad when I see people jump 200 feet across the room when I get a corn snake out. Corn snakes I guess are as smart as slugs and about as docile (unless you just squeezed a mouse in your hand prior to holding the snake - in that case you have to blame yourself ofcourse). But that exactly is the problem - the fobia is so irrational that neither the fearful person nor the animal handler can understand it. It is purely illogical and can sadly enough lead to bad blood if you push the issue eventho you both know that YOU are right! That's one of the mad things about fobia! Some people are even so fearful they don't even wanna learn/hear about the animal - that's like...worst case scenario.

Rico

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When I first got into the hobby I also was looking for a T that I can handle. One that I could take to the park with me and play fetch. Teach him how to get my newspaper and slippers in the morning. I think its real cute when my seemani brings me the leash while I'm sitting and watching some tv always wanting to go for walk. Comes and licks my feet in the middle of the night while I'm sleeping.

Yah they aren't really for handling. Their purpose is to eat bugs and to make babies, thats the main thing in life for them. It is not to please us in all those ways. Mine please me just fine sitting in their set ups that I have for them. Not really a hands on kind of pet. If thats the reason anyone gets into this hobby well then I say go to the pound and rescue a dog cuz I'm sure he'll gladly sit on your lap and let you pet him all day.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ruri_Hari said:

My first T is a Chaco golden knee. I wanted a docile species so I could get used to the whole T experience and so I wouldn't be as jumpy about putting my hand in the habitat for cleaning and such. The fact that it is a calm little booger that usually crawls up on my hand while doing things in the enclosure is just an added bonus.
>>there's where you stand the best chance of being bit...even with the most "docile" of species.I never stick my hands into an enclosure for any reason...any species.That's what tongs/forceps are for."If" you really want to/must handle them get them out of the enclosure first by gently prodding them out with a tool of sorts(tongs/paintbrush).Once out of their enclosure (which they can/will defend profusely) chances of being bit are reduced...but there is still the risk.There won't be any bonus when your spider is hanging off your fingers by it's fangs whilst changing the water bowl.Sticking hands into an enclosure(handling purposes/cleaning purposes) is for sure a very bad practice....you're just looking to get bit. :eek: Sooner or later it will happen.

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
I've been troubled by that problem for quite some time: I look up too the big boys and girls who have aggressive species and think "If only I could have one of those..." :( . But I wanna wait until I not only have the money and accomodations required but also until I am fully prepared to do whatever to prevent being bit. That includes the rather frequent occasion of having to clean the water dish. So now to the tricky question: How do I get an irregular shaped, rock imitation water dish out of the tank without using hands, feet or mouth to lift it???

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
I've been troubled by that problem for quite some time: I look up too the big boys and girls who have aggressive species and think "If only I could have one of those..." :( . But I wanna wait until I not only have the money and accomodations required but also until I am fully prepared to do whatever to prevent being bit. That includes the rather frequent occasion of having to clean the water dish. So now to the tricky question: How do I get an irregular shaped, rock imitation water dish out of the tank without using hands, feet or mouth to lift it???

Cover the hide or spider with a deli cup or other container. Then you can use whatever you like.

port513

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ruri_Hari said:

I agree with Cirith Ungol on that beginners look for a handleable T because they are used to being able to hold and interact with pets, and they, sometimes naively, expect this to be true of T's.

Oh, I have kept fish for years. I have a goldfish that is 10 years old in January. I love fish :} I think that is why I'm used to the whole "look don't touch" concept :D
Don't put your hands in a defensive species terrarium if you don't want a painfull suprise ;)

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have no problem with the look, don't touch aspect. I've kept fish for years, and I own several reptiles, which are the not the most handleable of animals. If I want to cuddle and hold something, the cat will happily oblige.

I picked up my PZB becuase I like the way the zebra's look, it was a docile species, and a nice size for a beginnier. I have held it twice, once by accident, and the other on purpose. One of the major reason's I try to hold her (which is very rare) is that I have a mild phobia of spiders. I'm fine until big fuzzy spiders start walking on me... I"ve been slowly trying to get rid of that. Also, and I will practice quite a bit with a fake spider before I use her to do this, I need to learn how to pick up a T properly. Right now, it's basically coaxing her onto my hand. I'd say there are very few times when you really "need" to handle a T, but it's good to know how to do so properly.

I have gotten a weird reaction from several friends, with the questions "why would you get something if you can't hold it?" though.

I would never try to hold my boehmi or one of my other T's. My boehmi will kick hairs half of the time when I go in to change it's water.

cdxrd

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ottawaherp said:
Fish are "no touch" pets, lots of people have fish.
Umm, In regards to this line... tell my fish that.. Its a little blue beta, he thinks he must be petted. He will swim to the top of the tank when I am over there, and almost bob up and down in the water. if a put a finger in there and 'pet' him, he relaxes and swims back down.. :)

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
port513 said:
Don't put your hands in a defensive species terrarium if you don't want a painfull suprise ;)
Hey, I stick my hand in my H. lividum's tank all the time when I change the water. After all, she is just a pet hole. {D

I do check to see if she is near the entrance though.