Kritter Keepers

Kaulback

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Alright, I did use the search tool for this and found some nice pics of people keeping their scorps in Kritter Keepers, but I can't seem to find a "good size" for any paticular species that more than one person have agreed on so to speak. I have my P. imperator setup (no scorp in it yet) in a 10 gallon aquarium and though that big tank is alright for my first scorp, I've pretty much realized that aquariums aren't really space-efficient or cost-efficient when it comes to Ts and scorps, and I really do like kritter keepers :} So, with that in mind, in your opinion, what is the smallest size (of kritter keeper, in either gallons or apparently they have size names like small and medium) one fully grown adult scorpion (I won't be keeping any scorps communally) can live comfortably in in good health? Keep in mind I don't think I'll ever be going hot but if you have an answer for a hot genus or species please do post, if somebody else wants to know a good KK size for a hot in the future they can find the answer here without having to re-post. Some genuses I'm looking at specifically: Pandinus, Hadogenes, Hadrurus...I am aware in some cases the size will vary from species to species though.

Kaulback

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Also, do heat mats really not melt through these things? It seems to me they would :confused:

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hi!

For all those genuses i would go for the medium sized critter keeper, as they are all big species. I don't know the size in gallons, but they are sold as medium size here in norway. Another opportunity you should look at if your interested in keeping many scorps are socalled smart store boxes, they come in sizes from 2 up 70 liters. They are cheap and you can stack them on top of eachother if you make ventilation holes on the sides. They are also escape proof, as there are clips keeping the lids in place.

As for the heatmats, that's no problem. You should attach them to the wall behind the terrariums as scorpions burrow to avoid heat. That should be safe as there will no be as much direct contact with plastic. As for critter keepers they are made to tolerate heat.

Last edited:

Kaulback

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Anybody know any good, reliable brands that you can find in Canada similiar to "smart box"? Any with escape-proof clips? I like kritter keepers but I must admit they don't seem 100% escape proof to me...

@ Kim:
Since you claim the bigger species need a medium, in you opinion is there a species that needs a large? I know pandinus are biggest but biggest isn't always the one that needs the most space...

Kaos

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The "Smart Store" boxes are made by a swedish company called Hammarplast and i think they export their products world wide, so it might be possible to get them in Canada.

The large critter keepers would be nice to keep several specimens of a big spp., i think they ar to big for just one specimen. Just remember to decrease the ventilation for high humidity spp.