Beginner

marebear

Arachnopeon
I am a beginner in the spider world and I was wondering, what is the best spider to start off with?

Lochala

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I believe the Grammostola pulchra are the best pet spiders. They are a docile species, get up to 6 inches long, and their velvety black color is quite nice. I started out with the Greenbottle Blue tarantula, Chromatopelma cyanopubences. They are the parrots of the tarantula world; Adults have cerulean blue chelicera and legs, an orange and black abdomen with orange setae, and a green carapace. They are easy to care for but can be skittish.
Hope this helps,
Tim Lochala

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I started with a G. Rosea. Easy to care for and hardy. She was very docile. I then moved on to getting a avicularia versicolor. He was docile aswell, but a little skittish. If u breathed on him, he would run. They are aboreal and a little harder to care for because of the humidity and vent requirements.
I have read that Chaco golden knees and pink zebra beauties are great for beginners aswell. I have never had either one though.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
BTW, Welcome to the boards!! :)
Dont forget there is a search function. Just type in the name of whatever T u are interested in and u will find alot of info. Have Fun!!!

usumbaraboy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well i started out with an obt or usumbara baboon dont know how to spell the scientific name. another good one is the stripe knee or a seemanii they are a great t to start with. but if u want a t that gets big fast try a l parahybana. they get to i think 8-10 inches and are a little skittish but they are a great t to look at. but welcome to the boards and yeah just use the search function and u can find any t ur looking for

Cigarman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My Grammostola Aureostriata was my first T and its been quite entertaining. Slow and gentle in its manner, its been a good T to take out and let wander on my bed. My PZB has been more skittery but is also slow when not scared of its own shadow. :}

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cigarman said:
My Grammostola Aureostriata was my first T and its been quite entertaining. Slow and gentle in its manner, its been a good T to take out and let wander on my bed. My PZB has been more skittery but is also slow when not scared of its own shadow. :}
What is PZB?

nowhereman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Grammostola Aureostriata

marebear said:
I am a beginner in the spider world and I was wondering, what is the best spider to start off with?
Get off to a good start. Get a Chaco golden knee (Grammostola Aureostriata).
Easy care , teddy bear of the T's, medium growth rate, wonderful to learn from and enjoy. :)
While your at it pick up some reading materials on tarantulas. :D

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Any commonly available species of Brachypelma or Grammostola would make a good beginner's tarantula, since they are relatively docile, grow to a decent size and are hard to kill.

DanD5303

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Grammastola aureostriata-Chaco Golden Knee

These are docile, easy to keep spiders that get big and look good, IMHO. They do best under dry conditions so the humidity isn't a big factor, and they eat well. Welcome to the boards, by the way, Dan

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
any Grammastola genus is docile though you may ruin into the occasional wacko by chance. C cyaneopubescens are also docile but fast. I'd say get a rosehair or a pulchra, they ae slow docile and you will be able to get a feel for how to care for T's. After that you'll most likely become obsessed like the rest of us and start buying many species.

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Your first T...

There are many docile species to consider starting out with. May I suggest the following:
1) PZB (E. campestratus)
2) Curly hair (B. albopilosum)
3) Mexican red knee ( B. smithi)
4) Peruvian Pinktoe ( A. avicularia)
:)

druid8783

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello! I'm new to the game too. My first was a G. aureostriata (chaco golden knee). It is a great spider! Very slow moving and docile. I've since added some more I have A. seemanni (costa rican zebra) they are quicker but are still pretty docile, A. avicularia (pink toe) mine is pretty jumpy so I don't know that I'd recommend it for a first T, and a Mexican red rump (can't remember the species name). Mine is still really tiny so I can't say much on it besides that it is a burrower so I don't see it much.

Everytime I've read something about beginner T's on the board the genus Brachypelma and Grammastola have been the most recommended.

Sandra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Grammostola aureostriata

We love our juvenile G.aureostriata, aka Chaco Golden Knee. It was amongst a couple that were recommended as a starter T. Glad we settled on this one. Not jumpy, is calm, docile, mellow, easy to care for. He helped ease us into the hobby and gave us such a positive first experience.

Good luck, let us know what you get!

Valtinho

Arachnopeon
I few months back I would have said Chaco (G. Aereostriata) too, but lately mine has been trying to bite my hand when I change the water dish.

So now I think Pink Zebra Beauty is better. I have two, and they are absolutely the sweetest. Plus grow to a decent size and look great in their own subdued way. They are also more active than the average G rosea.

marebear

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone! I will be doing some research before I choose which one. You guys helped me out alot!

Last edited:

marebear

Arachnopeon
I think I am going to get a BRACHYPELMA ALBOPILOSUM (Curly Hair Tarantula) . What does everyone think?