My first tarantulas!

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
These are my first two tarantulas, I know the pictures are not very good, but I am still learning how to use my digital camera!

Theraphosa blondi
[/IMG]

Another,
[/IMG]

Brachypelma smithi sling
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
That's wierd, I can see them. Maybe I did something wrong?
Okay, they work now, sorry they are so big!

Last edited:

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wish i got a T blondi for my first tarantula..that would be very cool.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yap i saw it just then, very nice one
i would sugesst rise the substrate up to the height of "less than the legspan " to prvent the bigger spider falling off from climbing(might get a lump or killed) also it'll have more to dig if it doznt like the flower pot

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
manville said:
Yeah, she is very interesting to watch. She is quite active, though she doesn't dig or climb. She is quick to flick hairs and hide if I disturb her too much, but other than that she is pretty mellow! I don't think I would ever hold her though. I can stick my arm in her tank to grab her water dish and she doesn't even move, but if she is too close to it I use the forceps. I have a feeling she would flick me pretty good!

I could raise the substrate level, but I will wait a while, I don't want to disturb her again. She has about three inches of substrate right now, and she has never so much as attempted to burrow, or climb, she either just hangs out in the open, or scrunches up in her pot. And man is she a pig! I can't wait to get more, they are so fascinating to observe!!

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Is this what it looks like when a sling is in pre-molt? She started to turn dark a couple of days ago, and she hasn't eaten anything since I got her on Dec 22. Her abdomen has gone quite black now, but I'm not sure if that is just her dark hairs, or if it is the hairs underneath. Can anyone tell me if this is what pre-molt looks like?

[/IMG]

Letsgochopping

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, it probably is. Give it a few days and it should moult. It usually doesn't take too long for a sling once it turns black, though I am sure someone's had a differing experience.

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
manville said:
Yeh right up untill you breath in your first dose of T hair .....

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Letsgochopping said:
Yes, it probably is. Give it a few days and it should moult. It usually doesn't take too long for a sling once it turns black, though I am sure someone's had a differing experience.
Looks to me like the sling is in pre-molt. It's showing signs (dark abdomen, not eating). Could be today, could be next week. Probably sooner than later, though.