new to molting...got a few questions

PaulBurk

Arachnopeon
Alright so last night I sort of noticed something on the side of one of my emperors, couldn't tell what it was...looked like a tiny piece of exo was peeling off. I investigated a while and brushed it off as most likely being a piece of substrate. BUT today, I was looking at another emperor from the same litter(both are in the same tank) and it had a piece of exo coming off too. This time I knew for sure because I held up a blacklight to it and the particle was glowing just like the rest of him.

Question 1 is, could this be the beginning of their molt? As I said they are from the same litter and have had two molts. I did not own them during this time but my friends female gave birth and he gave me two of them after their second molt. I have had them for about 2 months with no molts. What gets me is there has been no change in any patterns(except the larger did eat more than usual last week).

Question 2 is, They have had two molts so does that make them at 2nd-instar because they have had two molts or at 3rd-instar because they are on their third stage?

Div1nE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
q1: likely.

q2: two molts = 3rd instar, and so forth. im pretty sure thats how it goes

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hi,
just to say, they dont moult in bits and bobs, it ALL goes when it moults

check for pics on the net, the scorp "bursts" out of its old skin through the mouth area(vaguely)