what time of night do your scorps become active?

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
since the search engine isn't working at the moment (just me??) I'll ask before i can do any research...with the recent discussion in some threads about people wanting active scorpions it got me thinking.

What time of night do your scorpions become active? I'm going to guess that it varies with species depending on their aversion to light.

My H. arizonensis would come out not long after dark...7-8ish, haven't had it long enough and out of it's burrow recently enough to accurately recall the time.

My Smeringus mesaensis...never really seen it doing anything but sitting in craters it digs in the sand or inside it's clay pot.

And my Babycurus jacksoni's...more visible tonight than usual, i'm thinking it is because I misted their enclosure heavily earlier this evening (and my Ttoo, it's also out of it's burrow and cleaning itself). They were out at least before 9PM when I went in there to check on them. 3 of the 5 were out in the open (two on the ground, one on the fallen "tree") and a 4th was just outside the communal scrape, the 5th was still hiding deep inside.

That's all i have to report :p

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My Trans is active ALL day.

My australis is too new for me to know.. it still seems very.. timid in its new environment. Not running to food like the trans etc..

It seems to be slightly more active starting at about 10pm, though.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My H arizonensis would come out when it was very dark, but after having it a fw weeks it would come out around 7-8, then it even started hanging out in th eopen in the day, my tanks are not in direct sunlight BTW and I removed lights over my tanks.

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My P. Leiosoma. doesn't have a time schedule. sometimes i can see him in the morning walking around. and sometimes he comes out 10 o clock in the evening or 3 in the morning. the rest of the day he is in his hide sitting still and sometimes turns around to sit still. Is the p Trans always that active?

NihonRobot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Emp tends to become active around 3-4am like Raze's, but not for very long. He'll only come out in the day if I leave the heat lamp off too long.

errit

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I do think that it is a pitty that scorpions in general aren't a little more active, i have read once that they are 95% of the time inactive.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hmm...
if you want more activity, get a colony of 10+ heterometrus

then you are 95% guaranteed to see more than one every night
(and you get to see them actually hunt, instead of taking it from you)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mine usually come out after all the lights are turned off if they come out at all.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My colony of C vittatus, although currently diminished from it's infestation I always see them. Very active scorps. If you have the lights out for 5 minutes they will start crawling all over the tank.

carpe scorpio

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brian S said:
Mine usually come out after all the lights are turned off if they come out at all.
Yep, me too, the Centruroides are usually out within an hour of "lights-out". The Androctonus will wait until nearly dawn, or just stay in.

Fergrim

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
yeah.. I haven't once gotten to see my australis catch prey yet.. I just see her finishing it when I wake up :)

guesskatiejules

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My emperor usually comes out when I get up in the morning, around 5:30 am. I guess it's because I turn on the light in my room. He is really active though between 5 and 9pm. He goes to sleep the same time I do, around 10pm. :)

SyN

Arachnopeon
I have 3 emps, that really have different personalities

One is out fairly often coming up maybe 4-5 times a day for a few mins, then back into it's hide

The Second doesnt come out at all until about midnight, then its all over the place until the sun comes back up

The third is very private (lol) as it will come out every other day or so around 2/3 am just to go for a stroll around the tank

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My H. arizonensis never came out during the day. It wouldn't even eat during the day unless a cricket or roach wandered directly into its hide.

Raan_Jodus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
spadix: female would sit out all day sometimes (i think that was a bad sign). Male is usually pretty active right after lights out.

Vittatus: arent usually as active. I think I made the tank way too well. But when nite comes I can usually see one or two walking around up and down the bark.