Water: tap Vs. spring Vs. Distilled

zxcv1234

Arachnopeon
I have read to use distilled, but wouldn't it lack electrolytes and stuff that would be beneficial? I know chlorine in tap is not a good thing. Is spring water is the best to use?

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ive always used tap water, but then again I never tried either of the others so I dont know if the outcome would have been any different if I had, seemed to work for me. Havent lost a t due to water (that I know of)

usumbaraboy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
well i used bottled water before and then i decided to go to tap water and my ts are all living and healthy

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I mainly use tap water. For awhile I was using distilled water (the $0.58 gallon from Wal-Mart), but changed over and haven't noticed a difference.

Crunchie

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use tap water as well but let it lie in a bucket for a day or so. I keep reptiles as well and if they find thewater tastes funny then they may er... try and make it taste familiar :eek:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Crunchie said:
I use tap water as well but let it lie in a bucket for a day or so. I keep reptiles as well and if they find thewater tastes funny then they may er... try and make it taste familiar :eek:
What do they do exactly?

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Some reptiles tend to use it for the batheroom.

I use filtered tap water myself. I don't really like the water quality of the city. It doesn't happen at my house, but at several other places, filling the bathtub makse it smell like a swimming pool. :eek: I was just using straight tap, but I was getting concerned about possible water softner issues. The water usually sits out for 24 hours or so.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
When left to evaporate, any clorine will dissipate after a day or so... at least that's what I've heard. Tho it doesn't remove any calcium, or whatever it is which stains the glass if you spray against it... I guess if you want to skip cleaning the windows a lot with an angry T in the tank then you should use destilled for the windows...

Randy

Arachnolord
Old Timer
IMO .. tap water works fine .. the amount of chlorine (maybe in my country) is not enough to do any harm to my T's, they've been living on Tap water for years now, and all of them are okay ~

Bean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Water? *looks at the cases of assorted fruit juices in the corner*

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Randy said:
IMO .. tap water works fine .. the amount of chlorine (maybe in my country) is not enough to do any harm to my T's, they've been living on Tap water for years now, and all of them are okay ~
I live in NY, with all the terrorists and bush still on the loose, i dont trust anything free!

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've always used filtered tap water. I do give plain Pedialyte to ts that have been shipped to me or ts in distress. It seems to help. In fact, it worked wonders on a T. blondi that was in heat distress from being mishandled during delivery and left on a hot porch for a few hours rather than delivered to my office as I requested. She went from limp to feisty in just a few hours after being placed over a cotton ball soaked in Pedialyte (she was too weak to get to the bowl and I worried about her drowning).

Bruce

Arachnopeon
What is Pedialyte?

Hi Galeogirl,

What is Pedialyte?

I use either spring water or distilled water for my T's by the way. Don't like the chlorine in tap.

Bruce

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pedialyte is used to treat children who are dehydrated. It's loaded with electrolites. I use plain old tap water for my T's and herps. Never had a problem. If can use tap to cook and brush my teeth then I figure it is safe for everyone else. I've only used filtered or bottled for amphibians who are more sensitive to chemicals in their water.
Mike

Last edited:

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Pedialyte is good for emergencies or extreme dehydration
like Gale stated, but it has high amounts of electrolytes
and should not be given to Ts on a regular basis.

**Yes, more advice from the dumb newbie with
only ONE tarantula** ;P

HaloMiles

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use filtered water, mainly because I really don't trust my town's water supply, we've had problems with it before. My G. rosea is looking just fine, I don't think it matters too much, but it's always a good idea to check chlorine levels in the tap water.

Sting Crazy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Perrier for my Ts :D
My Ts also prefer the New York Times to The Wall St. Journal :cool: