New Lid for Enclosure => Anti-Leg-Sticking

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I woke up at 5:30 am last week to find my A. seemani hanging by one leg from the screen lid on its enclosure, so I needed to make a new lid to make sure that the legs didn't get stuck anymore.

Here's what I did:

I went to Lowe's and got a sheet of plexi-glass (pretty thick) that was 12" x 24". It was $8.00.

Then I measured the recess in the aquarium, and cut the plexi-glass to fit.

I then make a grid on the plex-glass using a Vis-a-Vis marker (wet-erase)...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/beccamillott/Aphonopelma seemani/Galileo/Spiders130.jpg

Then I drilled holes at every intersection and in the squares...

It fit perfectly on the tank...

And the screen lid still fits on top (because the plexi-glass lid is in the recess) and I can lock it up...

My only problem right now is that the humidty has went from 50% to 70% in the last two hours. For A. seemani, I'm assuming this is okay, I just don't want it to raise too much more or I may need to consider drilling even more holes.

Although the T is now beginning to dig a burrow, this will hopefully calm my fears about it walking on the ceiling all night long.

Do you think the humidity will be okay?

Last edited:

pharaoh2653

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
im no expert or nothing but i have an A. avic, A. seemani, and a G. rose in an aquarium with dividers separating them. they have been in the setup for over a year where the humidity is almost constantly 90%. they all are fine and the A. seemani eats like a pig.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
pharaoh2653 said:
im no expert or nothing but i have an A. avic, A. seemani, and a G. rose in an aquarium with dividers separating them. they have been in the setup for over a year where the humidity is almost constantly 90%. they all are fine and the A. seemani eats like a pig.
Do you have any/many problems with mold?

It would be neat to see a picture of your "triple" enclosure. Do you have any?

jdcarrel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would just make the holes bigger instead of making more, depending on the size of the spider of course.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
kornordie said:
I would just make the holes bigger instead of making more, depending on the size of the spider of course.
I haven't thought about doing that..

My only concern is the T getting it whole leg stuck in the whole. They are just a little smaller than the Ts leg at this point. It's a 4" A. seemani that's in there now (hidden under the coconut hide, as usual).

I'm going to keep an eye on the humidity for the next day or so and see where it goes. I'm hoping it won't creep up over 75%.

Adam

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
pharaoh2653: Is that light on a lot? You really shouldn't keep your Ts that close to a light.

pharaoh2653

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the water bowls are big. but the cage meets thier space requirements. i may be doing a little moving though because the tank is not mine and a friend wants it back.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hmmm..

Didn't you say you had an A. avicularia? I don't see an arboreal setup? These are arboreal Ts.

PapaRoacher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
pharaoh2653 said:
the T's were put there for picture taking purposes

If that be the case, why the water dishes? Seems like just extra moving for such a short-lived task such as picture snapping :?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
PapaRoacher said:
Those enclosures look uber small :?
They look like they would be very good for arboreal juveniles, since the enclosure is so tall.

PapaRoacher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
beccamillott said:
They look like they would be very good for arboreal juveniles, since the enclosure is so tall.
Yeah, but I don't think a space that small should ever be used long-term for any of the larger terrestrial speices...

pharaoh2653

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i moved the whole tank. the T's were much smaller when first placed in the tank. the Avic. isnt in there anymore. as ive said previouslythey are soon to be moved.

PapaRoacher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
pharaoh2653 said:
i moved the whole tank. the T's were much smaller when first placed in the tank. the Avic. isnt in there anymore. as ive said previouslythey are soon to be moved.
That's good... But, for future reference, Ts do outgrow their enclosures sometimes, so, take further caution towards the matter next time :rolleyes:

pharaoh2653

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i was just replying to a post about humidity levels for A. seemani whats with all the criticism

PapaRoacher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
pharaoh2653 said:
thanks though for the advice
You're Welcome, but, I don't believe I was being critical... I was simply trying to make an observation...