Arboreal Cage Size

Hooper

Arachnopeon
Usually I keep slings in thier vials until they reach 1 inch or so. Now, in the near future I'm going to pick up an Avic. of some sort, or maybe a New World arboreal that's a little faster - irminia perhaps. I would like to utilize a 20 gallon long all glass aquarium on end, and I'll fabricate a hinged Lexan door with the requisite vent holes. I want to go large so the the occupant has all the freedom it wants, plus of course, we're looking at a vertical space of 30" or so, which I would think would make an arboreal very comfortable. Since T's hunt freely in the wild, would this be too large for say, a 3" T to grow into?
Another advantage of the large size tank would be that I would probably never have to transfer to a larger enclosure. The downside might be that yes, the T would have to actively hunt for its meal instead of having it dropped right next to it, but hey, that's only natural right? What do you think? Agree? Disagree? Thanks

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You will find yourself amazingly disappointed if you go with P.Irminia as your Arboreal choice. They make tube webs on the ground and stay in them ALL the time. They are absolutley beautiful... easily one of the most stunning Ts ever... but are very reclusive and rarely do they exhibit arboreal tendencies. Also a 20 is a bit of over kill for a spider that doesnt get above 5.5"...

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Deliverme314 said:
You will find yourself amazingly disappointed if you go with P.Irminia as your Arboreal choice. They make tube webs on the ground and stay in them ALL the time. They are absolutley beautiful... easily one of the most stunning Ts ever... but are very reclusive and rarely do they exhibit arboreal tendencies. Also a 20 is a bit of over kill for a spider that doesnt get above 5.5"...

I agree, a 20 would be good for like a T.Blondi, or something that gets over 6" but i disagree on getting a P.Irminia, its at the top of my list.

-Mattyb

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
IME, I've found that placing a small T in a large tank results in a HUGE waste of space. They generally only utilize one small portion, and the rest of the tank is unused. I've only had one P irminia, and it stayed hidden 24/7, in a tube web at the base of the cork bark.
I just think you'll be disappointed.....

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mattyb said:
I agree, a 20 would be good for like a T.Blondi, or something that gets over 6" but i disagree on getting a P.Irminia, its at the top of my list.

-Mattyb
Well if its at the top of your list I can only assume that you have never owned one. Like I said; gorgeous T. One of the most beautiful in existance in my opinion. (I had one that I sold to a buddy of mine who come on here occasionaly.) But they dont make good display Ts at all and if you ever do catch it outside of its tube web... dont breathe... or you will send it running.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Deliverme314 said:
Well if its at the top of your list I can only assume that you have never owned one. Like I said; gorgeous T. One of the most beautiful in existance in my opinion. (I had one that I sold to a buddy of mine who come on here occasionaly.) But they dont make good display Ts at all and if you ever do catch it outside of its tube web... dont breathe... or you will send it running.

The only reason i do not have one, is because at the moment i am unemployed. And I did not get one sooner because they are an agressive species, also its hard to get Ts where i live, not too many pet sotres have them, and i don't like to do the online thing. I have and OBT and people say that they hide all the time...well mine is out almost all the time, every T has its own personality, not all will hide all the time.

-Mattyb

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mattyb said:
The only reason i do not have one, is because at the moment i am unemployed. And I did not get one sooner because they are an agressive species, also its hard to get Ts where i live, not too many pet sotres have them, and i don't like to do the online thing. I have and OBT and people say that they hide all the time...well mine is out almost all the time, every T has its own personality, not all will hide all the time.

-Mattyb
You're missing the point.

Good luck. They are a beautiful T. I am considering getting one myself (again) when my male Pamphobeteus vespertinus matures. (think its ultimate is here in the next week... if this isnt it the next one has to be)

I just wanted you and hooper to be prepared.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Deliverme314 said:
You're missing the point.

Good luck. They are a beautiful T. I am considering getting one myself (again) when my male Pamphobeteus vespertinus matures. (think its ultimate is here in the next week... if this isnt it the next one has to be)

I just wanted you and hooper to be prepared.

Ummm..ok...you just told hooper, and me not to get one, but now you say your thinking about getting one? why are you contridicting yourself? Anyway good luck in whatever you decide.

-Mattyb

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
oh and for the record they are not overly defensive (we all use this word opposed to aggresive as there is no such thing as an aggressive T). Mine had never given me a threat posture. It would run and hide. And the two or three times I dug her up to play I could basically mold her into position with my tweezers lifting her fangs out and putting her legs into position.

Now overly defensive is any given Pamphob. My P.Platyomma ever since I got it at an inch will attack anything and everything no matter how big it is. If you blow air on her she doesnt kick hair... she whips around and bites furiously until she lands anythign... generally just a clump of dirt...

The point? Who cares if it is defensive? Ts were not meant to be handled... I have never handled one of my Ts... the most I ever do is "tease" them so that I can see their violent reaction. So to me... a non defensive is quite boring. I need to see those fangs.

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mattyb said:
Ummm..ok...you just told hooper, and me not to get one, but now you say your thinking about getting one? why are you contridicting yourself? Anyway good luck in whatever you decide.

-Mattyb
I told you that I only wanted you to be aware of their behaivor. And to expect disappointment. I dont think I said not to get one... I love psalmos. They are gorgeous. I am currently weghing the pros and cons of what T to get. I have a C.Cyaneopubescens and a P.Platyomma in addition to the male P.VEspertinus. I can only have three Ts (this is the agreement with my GF who is terrified of them) so I need to pick and choose carefully. My other two are great display Ts so I may choose a beautiful one that I will see rarely... or I may just go with another monster super defensive display T... as these are what I really enjoy. Havent made up my mind.

Dragoon

ArachnoGoon
Old Timer
Instead of arguing, let's suggest some arboreals that are more visible.

My vote goes to Poecilotheria. I only have regalis at this time, but they are very large, very pretty, and I see them quite often. They are not prone to dashing off either.
Cheers
D.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Deliverme314 said:
I told you that I only wanted you to be aware of their behaivor. And to expect disappointment. I dont think I said not to get one... I love psalmos. They are gorgeous. I am currently weghing the pros and cons of what T to get. I have a C.Cyaneopubescens and a P.Platyomma in addition to the male P.VEspertinus. I can only have three Ts (this is the agreement with my GF who is terrified of them) so I need to pick and choose carefully. My other two are great display Ts so I may choose a beautiful one that I will see rarely... or I may just go with another monster super defensive display T... as these are what I really enjoy. Havent made up my mind.

I see your point. I just talked to Joe about you and he said your a pretty cool guy, so i will take your word.

-Mattyb

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would go with a pokie to, but only if you are experienced with Ts. They are in my opinion the most high level T someone can own. Very fast, can be defensive and have the worst known venom of a T. Why not go with an A.Versicolor?

Ps
I was not trying to argue... simply trying to share my experience and that which has been relayed to me by other owners of irminia...

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mattyb said:
I see your point. I just talked to Joe about you and he said your a pretty cool guy, so i will take your word.

-Mattyb

Right on. Tell Joe I said howdy and to give me a holler sometime (assuming we are refering to the same Joe). But seriously... get one and try it out. Ts arent like puppies. They dont bond with you and you can always find them a home on here if it doesnt work out. Even if you have to give it away... its only a 25 buck trial... You may get the one in a hundred that is out and about and brave.

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Prrrttt, TIMEOUT!!! (I feel like a referee, LOL). Mattyb and Deleiverme, you guys are both cool. Matt get the P.irmnia if you so desire but I agree, they dont make a good display my female pretty much like to burrow and made a tall wall of web camouflage with substrate, the male on the other hand makes a tube web above his cage and hides all the time, except when hunting. I started breeding them as of yesterday if all goes well I'll send u a couple. P. irminia and cambregei are gorgeous species.

Deliverme, the B. dubia roaches that you sent me are doing great, all matured now, I think 7 males and 8 females,last month I caught one pair coupulating, naugthy, naughty, lol.

now back on the subject, 20 gal, wow thats too big are you trying to do a comunual setup?, 10 gal is ok specially for comunual, but 5 gal is better tileted on the side for single specimen. great display species I would suggest Avic avic, they make a hamock style web for easy viewing, A.versi, they make a tube style...difficult for viewing. hope this helps.

Peace,
Joe

oh also, P. irminia are not really that big,even for a 5'' LS, their just leggy. Avics has a larger carapace and abdomen.

Hooper

Arachnopeon
Say that I went with a Tap. or a rufilata, don't you feel

that a spacious (especially vertically) enclosure would make the animal more relaxed. Several years ago I had a rufilata, but it didn't survive a bad molt--now there's something new and different. I would think that an adult would be quite at home in a 20 long, on end of course. I also had 2 versicolors in 10 gal. tanks on end, but they are a good deal smaller than Red Slate. Last, years ago I read that of all the Pokes, the rufilata is probably the most laid back (of course, that's relative). Has that been your experience?

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
IMO a 20 gallon tank woould be better for a large pokie or maybe a big T blondi or T apo....i have my pinktoe in a 5 gallon octagon AQ. works great.

Deliverme314

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey hoop,

Honestly... P.Irminia does not want a vertical cage. It wont use it. But a ten gal would be great for a larger Avic or something. Twenty imo is just over kill for about any T other than the ones pink toe mentioned.