Is this sand OK for scorps?

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Only stuff local shop had was black T-Rex BONE AID calci-sand. Not sure if it is OK. Going to be using it for Parabuthus Leiosoma. Anyone use this stuff before? I'd rather find out before I open it and cant return it. thanks

NoS

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have read and been told on here that calci sand is NOT good for scorps. Do a search on this board and I am sure you will find info on it.

Once again though I am not an expert by any means

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wouldn't use it.
Go to a pet store that has alot of fish supplies and look for a brand called Aqua Terra. It comes in all sorts of colors. That is what I have been using.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How about play sand from the hardware store? About $3 for a 50 pound bag. Save your money for mor bugs!

Wade

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
lol, careful when u go buy it, i got one, amazed at how cheap it was, and ended up having to trek for MILES back home with a massive bag

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I usually use playgournd sand, just wanted something more festive looking for my buthid

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I told you nucklehead, come down to Brooklyn and ill get ya some quality red sand.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Only other sand they had at petstore, was zoo med but it looked way too fine, almost like powder and it seemed to be recommended only for reptiles.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
RaZeDaHeLL666 said:
I told you nucklehead, come down to Brooklyn and ill get ya some quality red sand.
Thanks knuckle nuts but I don't feel like spending $20 round trip to get sand. I'll do C.O.D.. Come on over.

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Lazy! Why would you order sand, when you can save time and come get it. Then you can be ready for your scorp faster. ;)

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm not ordering sand. I think you trip too much. How many fingers am I holding up?

Nevermind, It's just 1, ignore the trails Nino.

RaZeDaHeLL666

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
NYbirdEater said:
I'm not ordering sand. I think you trip too much. How many fingers am I holding up?

Nevermind, It's just 1, ignore the trails Nino.
LOL .........Hurry up!

esox76

Arachnopeon
I think that calci-sand is what I have for my A austalis. I have heard people say not to use it, but I have not heard any reasons....?

NihonRobot

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was using that sand for awhile and didn't have any trouble. I only switched when I did my enclosure reconstruction, but I have it in another empty tank for my next one.

What makes this sand so bad? It sounded good to me.

NYbirdEater

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok, so a few people say they have used it with no problems. Any of you who said not to use it have a reason?

Nivek

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im new to scorpions, but my emperor seems to enjoy Eco-Earth blocks, lol...of course, i swear, it smells like bacon bits! >_<

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Sand schmand!.. Use clean Playsand $3US for a 40lb bag at Home Depot. Should not be a prob w calci-sand either...the comments as to whether or no claci-sand was bad was that someone said the particle were too small etc. etc...If you have ever collected scorps in the SW US or seen pics of the habitats where many of the common specis cone from you will notice that there is a lot of clay...clay particles are extremely small when compared to sand particles...no need to worry about what type of sand you use as long as it is CLEAN and uncontaminated...thats all...that said...cheap is the way to go if you have more than a few scorps....$3US for 40lbs of clean play sand is what I use for substrate sand.

John
];')

fiveohatch

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
so would it be ok to use sand for an emperor if properly packed so they can burrow and what not? i've got jungle mix now and am thinking about cleaning out/redoing the tank and want a cheaper alternative. i spent $20 on the jungle mix stuff and don't have the money to do it again. i also like the way sand looks better than this type of stuff or peat.

if sand is ok, i'll just go buy a big 'ole bag of it.

SpaceHawk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sand for an Emp..

I'm sure you could do it and have your scorp live, but here is the thing...Emp scorps are from a humid scrub/rainforest type habitat. Sand, unless kept moist all the time, can dry up in a hot terraium and suck up all the humidity. Its better to go with some safe soil of some kind, or just keep buying the reptile made stuff like Eco-Earth. If you use sand you may have problems later on. But, like I said, you could keep him alive, but he may not thrive as well. I have never used sand for one, and I never will. I match the substrate to the species natural habitat, which is the best thing you can do.