Does enclosure size affect behaviour?

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Has anyone studied if the size of a tarantula's enclosure affects behaviour?

Part of the reason I ask is that I have a G. rosea (yes, I know they suffer from Mutiple Personality Disorder), that when it was in a larger enclosure was more docile. Now, it is in a smaller enclosure (2.5 gallon tank) it throws threat displays at the drop of a hat. That started me wondering if enclosure size is a factor in a T's behaviour.

What are some of the opinions out there?

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think most animals are less aggressive in larger enclosures since they're less likely to feel threatened if they have a place to run and hide.

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
it might treat the smaller enclosure like a burrow or hide defending it and such. were as when its in a bigger tank its kind of like being out in the open and more likely to run and hide.

Dark Raptor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think that more important for T's, than the size of tank, is the place to hide. My P. regalis, C. cyaneopubescens and T. blondi were more docile when they had their nest. I saw this even among Brachypelma (smithi and albopilosum), but generally they are very calm in almost all situations.
Without hideout, even in large container, spiders are much more agressive.
This is my observation - I think very basic ;)

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
pinktoes804 said:
it might treat the smaller enclosure like a burrow or hide defending it and such. were as when its in a bigger tank its kind of like being out in the open and more likely to run and hide.
This is sort of what I was thinking. There is a hide in my G. rosea's tank, but she never use it. I do plan on getting her into a bigger tank, but she ended up in the smaller enclosure since it was what I had on hand. Plus, once she dropped the egg sac, I couldn't move her. Now, that the egg sac is hatched I was planning on moving her.

I just noticed the change in her behaviour and wondered if the tank size was a factor.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think it does. I moved my big T.Blondi from a 29 gal. to a 10 gal. and now she is really pissy.

-Mattyb

taorchard1987

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hmm thats got me thinkin. This maybe because she is in such a confined space, as to when she was in her bigger vivarium with plenty of hiding places to retreat to.

Sandra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Great article, Crotalus, thanks for posting it.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mattyb said:
I think it does. I moved my big T.Blondi from a 29 gal. to a 10 gal. and now she is really pissy.

-Mattyb
I would be pissy to if u took my mansion away and gave me a HUD home... :}