Feeding question for G. Rosea....

ScorpionBob

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am trying to decide on a feeding schedule of some kind. I have searched the forums and have not really come to much of a resolution. Powerfeeding, wet season gorging/cold weather fasting. Accellerated life cycles(maybe) due to power/over feeding. Obesity and falling increasing the chances of a burst abdomen. I am just not sure what to do...

I have had my G. Rosea since XMAS and have bought one dozen crickets so far. There are three left...

Please help me to make a decision... :confused:

Nivek

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
With my rosey, I just put a cricket in every other day or so and see if she eats it, if she eats it good, if not, i take it out after an hour or so and try again in a day or so >_<

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Its had to have a schedule with a G.Rosea they can fast for a very long time. mine went almost 6 months without anything to eat.

-Mattyb

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Personally, I tend to feed my tarantulas smaller amounts. For my juvies and older, I feed two crickets every week to two weeks. Occassionally, I will even extend that to three weeks. I do feed s'lings at least once a week.

From various studies I have seen, it is suggested that caloric restriction can extend the longevity of an animal. Based on this premise, I hope to maximize the age of my tarantulas.

Studies and information supporting this can be found at these sites,

Caloric Restriction Study

CalorieRestriction.org

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mattyb said:
Its had to have a schedule with a G.Rosea they can fast for a very long time. mine went almost 6 months without anything to eat.
-Mattyb
I have the opposite problem. Everyone says that they have problems getting their G rosea to eat, and to judge feeding by that, but mine wont stop! After about a month with her I have never seen her pause for a second to jump on a cricket she knew was there or even leave an identifiable bolus to clean up. She's RAVENOUS and I dont know when it's going to get to overkill stage. I have seen her with so many crickets in her fangs she kept dropping them, and every time she went to pick one up she dropped another one (that was quite funny).

The funny thing is she isn't even at the "obese" point, whereas my C fasciatum pretty much started out that way and eats much less even for her size.

For a while I was getting 10 med crix a week to feed the two of them, but now I have a b smithi sling so I'm switching to 20 every 1.5 weeks. I dont know if that's a "good" schedule, but they're not starving or refusing food, so thats all I have to go on.

Faunya

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My adults/juvies get 3 medium crickets every Sunday (though a couple of them get 1-2 extra because I can always count on them to take any leftover crickets).

My s'lings get 1 pinhead every other day.

This schedule seems to keep everybody nice and healthy, and the only time I've had anyone refuse food was in the event of an upcoming moult.

Good luck.

Garficro

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Can I feed my sling rose with something other than flour worms?? She is about one year old, I have her for a month and she havent eat! Can she eat flour bug??

Attachments